My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii this summer (June or July).
I turn to the Fodor forum once again for help Some questions are Canada-specific, so I hope there are some fellow Canadians who can help
Here is what the plan is (it's still early in the planning process, so not all the details have been worked out):
- We have decided on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai
- The trip would be 2 weeks or a few days longer
- We want to hike as much as possible and see as much nature as possible (mountains, volcanoes, waterfalls, swim holes, forests, animals, plants)
- We want to go snorkeling and hang out on beaches for a few days at the end
Here are my questions:
- Flying out of Toronto (and keeping in mind the places we want to visit), what is the cheapest airport to fly into/out of? Which airline?
- Is 3 islands too ambitious for 2 weeks?
- On which islands do you recommend renting a car? I was thinking BI for sure, but not sure about other islands
- Is it worth it to try to camp on one of the hikes? We hiked in Australia and camped in the wilderness and it was amazing! But, it's a big pain lugging camping equipment around to only camp once or so
- Is it helpful to have a book with trails and hike maps or are the trails well marked? Is there a website that lists trails in Hawaii? (I am getting the LP Hawaii book to help us decide exactly which regions of the islands to go to and to book accommodations, but I'm not sure how useful it will be for specific hikes)
- I would love to know what everybody's favourite hike was on these three islands? We are avid hikers not easily deterred by rough terrain, steep slopes and altitude
- Finally - everyone's favourite beaches?
It would be great to hear everybody's opinions - please feel free to throw in your $0.02 on any aspect of visiting Hawaii!
thanks a million!!!!
First time Hawaii in June - Hiking and beaches - need planning help please!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 2 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 3 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 4 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 5 Timeshare Nightmares
- 6 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 7 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 8 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 9 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 10 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 11 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 12 Family Camp in Maine
- 13 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 14 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 15 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 16 New York City Restaurants
- 17 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 18 San Diego
- 19 Chicago Architectural River Tours - which one for us?
- 20 Seattle to Los Angeles and back . . . ideas for family stopping places?
- 21 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 22 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 23 Phoenix restaurants
- 24 Advice on a Hamptons Day Trip
- 25 Travel West Coast