My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii this summer (June or July).
I turn to the Fodor forum once again for help Some questions are Canada-specific, so I hope there are some fellow Canadians who can help
Here is what the plan is (it's still early in the planning process, so not all the details have been worked out):
- We have decided on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai
- The trip would be 2 weeks or a few days longer
- We want to hike as much as possible and see as much nature as possible (mountains, volcanoes, waterfalls, swim holes, forests, animals, plants)
- We want to go snorkeling and hang out on beaches for a few days at the end
Here are my questions:
- Flying out of Toronto (and keeping in mind the places we want to visit), what is the cheapest airport to fly into/out of? Which airline?
- Is 3 islands too ambitious for 2 weeks?
- On which islands do you recommend renting a car? I was thinking BI for sure, but not sure about other islands
- Is it worth it to try to camp on one of the hikes? We hiked in Australia and camped in the wilderness and it was amazing! But, it's a big pain lugging camping equipment around to only camp once or so
- Is it helpful to have a book with trails and hike maps or are the trails well marked? Is there a website that lists trails in Hawaii? (I am getting the LP Hawaii book to help us decide exactly which regions of the islands to go to and to book accommodations, but I'm not sure how useful it will be for specific hikes)
- I would love to know what everybody's favourite hike was on these three islands? We are avid hikers not easily deterred by rough terrain, steep slopes and altitude
- Finally - everyone's favourite beaches?
It would be great to hear everybody's opinions - please feel free to throw in your $0.02 on any aspect of visiting Hawaii!
thanks a million!!!!
First time Hawaii in June - Hiking and beaches - need planning help please!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 getting around DC
- 2 Looking for US issuing travel agent for partnership
- 3 4 week family trip ideas
- 4 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 5 advice for San jose to Napa limo
- 6 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 7 Metro Card Options
- 8 Oahu
- 9 Suite hotel in Washington DC: where to stay?
- 10 One day trip to New york or Washington DC (First visit)!
- 11 Washington DC and Philadelphia
- 12 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 13 Transportation suggestions from JFK to Teaneck/Tenafly, NJ
- 14 Need Minnesota leaf color reports
- 15 Dressing up for theatre in new york
- 16 San Francisco - mid October
- 17 Carmel by the sea to Las Vegas by road
- 18 San Antonio GTG 21 September 2014
- 19 Eating at south Lake Tahoe
- 20 Newport Restaurants
- 21 103rd annual northern Navajo nation fair
- 22 Need a Hampton Restaurant Suggestion
- 23 Trip Report - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks - July 18-25, 2014
- 24 Car Rental UK Drivers License
- 25 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old