My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii this summer (June or July).
I turn to the Fodor forum once again for help Some questions are Canada-specific, so I hope there are some fellow Canadians who can help
Here is what the plan is (it's still early in the planning process, so not all the details have been worked out):
- We have decided on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai
- The trip would be 2 weeks or a few days longer
- We want to hike as much as possible and see as much nature as possible (mountains, volcanoes, waterfalls, swim holes, forests, animals, plants)
- We want to go snorkeling and hang out on beaches for a few days at the end
Here are my questions:
- Flying out of Toronto (and keeping in mind the places we want to visit), what is the cheapest airport to fly into/out of? Which airline?
- Is 3 islands too ambitious for 2 weeks?
- On which islands do you recommend renting a car? I was thinking BI for sure, but not sure about other islands
- Is it worth it to try to camp on one of the hikes? We hiked in Australia and camped in the wilderness and it was amazing! But, it's a big pain lugging camping equipment around to only camp once or so
- Is it helpful to have a book with trails and hike maps or are the trails well marked? Is there a website that lists trails in Hawaii? (I am getting the LP Hawaii book to help us decide exactly which regions of the islands to go to and to book accommodations, but I'm not sure how useful it will be for specific hikes)
- I would love to know what everybody's favourite hike was on these three islands? We are avid hikers not easily deterred by rough terrain, steep slopes and altitude
- Finally - everyone's favourite beaches?
It would be great to hear everybody's opinions - please feel free to throw in your $0.02 on any aspect of visiting Hawaii!
thanks a million!!!!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 DC restaurant report
- 2 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 3 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 4 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 5 Neue Galerie
- 6 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 7 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 8 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 9 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 10 Philadelphia - Safe?
- 11 Arizona in winter
- 12 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 13 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 14 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 15 NYC bus tour suggestions
- 16 Arizona in late January
- 17 A Few Days in Asheville
- 18 University of Florida, Gainesville Breakfast Spot
- 19 Going to Oahu December 1-8
- 20 trip repor 5th-8th October
- 21 Key West
- 22 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 23 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 24 moving to Florida
- 25 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
First time Hawaii in June - Hiking and beaches - need planning help please!