Maui Trip for Hiking in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working to plan a trip to Hawaii for my wife and our two daughters (22 and 25). We are all very interested in doing a lot of hiking. While we like to visit the beach, we're not folks that want to spend most of our time on the beach. In researching the islands, Maui is referenced as having good hiking. We had been interested in Kuai, but January seems like it could be iffy weather wise. Looking for some confirmation here (and ideally a reference to hiking or trail guides) that Maui has some great hiking (with some longer hikes of several miles) and January should be fairly decent (not too much rain) for hiking. We also don't want to be in too busy of an area for our lodging. I assume there are some quitter areas of the southern part of the island? Thanks
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 11:08 AM

The one hike I've done and really liked was the hike INTO the Haleakala crater - it's different from any other hike, looks like you're on the moon. Of course, that also means there is no shade at all, and it's all downhill going, and all uphill coming back. You can go as far as you want - we went 2-1/2 miles in, 2-1/2 miles out.

I recommend you check out AllTrails -- search for "Maui" - the first item that comes up is "Hawaii" - click on that, and scroll over to and zoom in on Maui.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 02:46 PM

ALL the Hawaiian islands have "iffy" weather in the winter. That's the rainy season. Some parts of the islands are drier than others.
I'd suggest doing some online research.