After doing lots of research on these forums - my friend and I have decided on the below itinerary for our 3 week USA Roadtrip (road/fly trip haha) .... Yes it is a bit of a Contiki disaster - a lot of travel! But we have limited time and would like to get a taste of all these spots and after researching driving distances etc it does look doable.... Will be back in the future sometime to spend more time in my favourite spots - especially Utah/Arizona! This area deserves much more time than we have.
Would appreciate any comments and tips or recommendations on things to see or do along the way
Thanks in advance..
Ps: this will take place in August this year after teaching at Summer Camp (June - August)
Day 1 - Arrive Chicago
Day 2 - Chicago
Day 3 - Flight to Asheville, NC in the afternoon (overnight Asheville)
Day 4 - Drive Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee (overnight Gatlinburg)
Day 5 - Drive to Memphis ---- a Long day! Stop in Nashville for lunch...
Day 6 - Memphis
Day 7 - Drive Memphis to New Orleans at lunch time (I have heard this is about 7 hours??)
Day 8 - New Orleans
Day 9 - New Orleans
Day 10 - Afternoon flight to San Antonio
Day 11 - San Antonio
Day 12 - San Antonio
Day 13 - Morning flight to Albuquerque (drive to Santa fe in the evening, overnight Santa fe - New Mexico is a must for my friend so we unfortunately cannot swap
Day 14 - Santa Fe - overnight in Albuquerque for early flight next morning)
Day 15 - Early morning flight to Pheonix to pick up rental car - drive to Grand Canyon NP
Day 16 - Grand Canyon
Day 17 - Visit Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend - Overnight Page
Day 18 - Drive to Vegas
Day 19 - Vegas
Day 20 - Vegas
- How long will it take to drive Page to Vegas?? Where should we stop on route? We plan to spend the whole day - can arrive late at night into Vegas.
- Any tips on must do activities would be appreciated
Also - just to explain,,, we are flying Albuquerque to Phoenix as we do not get charged a hefty USD$500 one way car hire fee if we collect the car in Arizona instead of New Mexico The flight is only USD85 so works out best that way....
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 2 Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs
- 3 Restaurant recommendations...Chelsea Market, Korea Town
- 4 Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME
- 5 New York Pass Yes or No ???
- 6 Maine/Vermont/Quebec vs. Costa Rica?
- 7 Rental Car Orlando
- 8 Inexpensive family getaways
- 9 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 10 Boston College Visit with older teen. Highlights to see and do.
- 11 Discounted Rental Car?
- 12 Paying for Permit Land Crossing USA to Mexico
- 13 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 14 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 15 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 16 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 17 Valdez, Alaska
- 18 NJ to Florida drive
- 19 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 20 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 21 San Francisco & West Hollywood restaurants
- 22 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 23 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 24 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 25 Los Angeles to Nashville
Final 3 week itinerary - Any tips on things to see etc much appreciated