After doing lots of research on these forums - my friend and I have decided on the below itinerary for our 3 week USA Roadtrip (road/fly trip haha) .... Yes it is a bit of a Contiki disaster - a lot of travel! But we have limited time and would like to get a taste of all these spots and after researching driving distances etc it does look doable.... Will be back in the future sometime to spend more time in my favourite spots - especially Utah/Arizona! This area deserves much more time than we have.
Would appreciate any comments and tips or recommendations on things to see or do along the way
Thanks in advance..
Ps: this will take place in August this year after teaching at Summer Camp (June - August)
Day 1 - Arrive Chicago
Day 2 - Chicago
Day 3 - Flight to Asheville, NC in the afternoon (overnight Asheville)
Day 4 - Drive Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee (overnight Gatlinburg)
Day 5 - Drive to Memphis ---- a Long day! Stop in Nashville for lunch...
Day 6 - Memphis
Day 7 - Drive Memphis to New Orleans at lunch time (I have heard this is about 7 hours??)
Day 8 - New Orleans
Day 9 - New Orleans
Day 10 - Afternoon flight to San Antonio
Day 11 - San Antonio
Day 12 - San Antonio
Day 13 - Morning flight to Albuquerque (drive to Santa fe in the evening, overnight Santa fe - New Mexico is a must for my friend so we unfortunately cannot swap
Day 14 - Santa Fe - overnight in Albuquerque for early flight next morning)
Day 15 - Early morning flight to Pheonix to pick up rental car - drive to Grand Canyon NP
Day 16 - Grand Canyon
Day 17 - Visit Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend - Overnight Page
Day 18 - Drive to Vegas
Day 19 - Vegas
Day 20 - Vegas
- How long will it take to drive Page to Vegas?? Where should we stop on route? We plan to spend the whole day - can arrive late at night into Vegas.
- Any tips on must do activities would be appreciated
Also - just to explain,,, we are flying Albuquerque to Phoenix as we do not get charged a hefty USD$500 one way car hire fee if we collect the car in Arizona instead of New Mexico The flight is only USD85 so works out best that way....
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 2 20 Days Road Trip
- 3 Briefly, in WNY
- 4 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO
- 5 Denver to Yellowstone
- 6 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 7 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 8 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 9 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 10 San Diego to San Francisco in 15 days
- 11 prepaid broadband for ipad
- 12 Bar Harbor/Acadia Insight
- 13 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 14 Southern road trip ideas/reccomendations
- 15 Week in LA & San Francisco
- 16 Itinerary help for Boston and Islands
- 17 Road Trip Along Lake Michigan
- 18 hotel in NYC
- 19 Wanted: Two beds, charming place NOLA
- 20 South Point/Ka Lae - Southern Most Point of the USA
- 21 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 22 Hawaii's Rat Lungworm
- 23 Luggage Storage at ORD (Hilton)
- 24 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 25 Lodging recs for Mackinac Island
Final 3 week itinerary - Any tips on things to see etc much appreciated