My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 2 AZ and UT family road trip-seeking advice
- 3 Road trip from Saint Louis, Mo
- 4 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 5 Best way from Niagara Falls to Washington DC
- 6 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
- 7 Bringing gift box abroad as carry on?
- 8 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 9 road trip
- 10 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 11 SF-Yosemite-Monterey-SF
- 12 FLL to Key West
- 13 Help with NE (Maine, Boston, Cape Cod) Trip
- 14 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 15 San Francisco, Las Vegas - Where next?
- 16 Ashville, NC; where to stay?
- 17 Got error in dell printer 016-302
- 18 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 19 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 20 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 21 New Itinerary
- 22 Las vegas and nearby
- 23 Cape Cod trip report
- 24 Itin help - West / Grand Canyon
- 25 Napa & Sonoma - Winery Suggestions