My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 8 day honeymoon around Leavenworth and Seattle
- 2 The Quarter, Frog City, and elsewhere
- 3 WEST YELLOWSTONE TO GLACIER NP?
- 4 Diego and Frida at the DIA -- Where to Stay?
- 5 Myrtle Beach, SC ... Where to drive to??
- 6 Alaska- Best tours
- 7 Savannah GA
- 8 Hotels near beach orange county
- 9 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 10 Things to do around New York
- 11 Cape cod and Acadia
- 12 Zion Shuttle Bus Info
- 13 Daytona Beach and ??
- 14 Yellowstone Dining
- 15 Alaska Cruise: Coral Princess or Norwegian sun?
- 16 Grand Marais?
- 17 Acoma vs. Taos Pueblos
- 18 Coronado Ferry
- 19 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 20 First visit in New Mexico
- 21 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 22 Maine in latter half of September
- 23 trip outside of San Francisco with kids
- 24 Hotel Recommendations For Rapid City, SD?
- 25 Have you ever heard of a place called Page, Arz?