My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 2 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 3 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 4 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 5 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 6 Las Vegas
- 7 national/state park in November
- 8 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 9 Family trip to San Diego. Itinerary help!
- 10 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 11 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 12 50th in Hawaii
- 13 Florida Family vacation in California
- 14 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 15 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 16 traveling to Nashville
- 17 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 18 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 19 San Francisco California
- 20 My Topic Tennessee; no makeup or hair products
- 21 Which tide pool is best to see in Seattle?
- 22 Dupont Circle Hotels
- 23 Short civil rights your Atlanta to Birningham
- 24 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 25 Must eats in Fort Worth,TX