My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Condo rental for snowbirds
- 2 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 3 New Issues with Air BnB in NYC
- 4 Ironman Housing in Kailua Kona
- 5 advice for Short trip from Dallas to?
- 6 Best Affordable Hotel to Stay in Montana - Deborah
- 7 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 8 Road trip from Iowa to South Carolina
- 9 Trip Report - Chicago - Thunstorms, Thunderstorms, Thunderstorms
- 10 11 days SE coast road trip
- 11 My Topic TitlePalm Springs at the Last MInute, Help Please!
- 12 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 13 Where to stay for 1 night near Morgantown WV
- 14 Driving from Baltimore to Savannah Ga
- 15 Berkshires with a toddler
- 16 a lovely week in Grand Lake
- 17 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 18 hilicopter tour oahu
- 19 Places to stay in TX...?
- 20 driving from LA to Portland
- 21 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 22 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 23 Parking fine
- 24 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 25 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?