My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 2 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 3 California road trip - oneway or round trip
- 4 Traveling to bend ore via hwy 5 fron SF in early January
- 5 Costco Chicken Salad Recalled
- 6 Oahu November 2015 Trip Report
- 7 south west family trip itinerary
- 8 Relocating to the Deep South
- 9 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 10 Security at Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Championship
- 11 Adele saves Thanksgiving
- 12 wasting time around JFK
- 13 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 14 RV Roadtrip | Elkhart, IN to Middletown, NJ | Mid March 2016
- 15 outside adventure Las Vegas? Food too
- 16 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 17 SF Restaurant
- 18 Best cities with Mild winter temperatures
- 19 Charleston, Savannah, and Coast Itinerary <Feedback requested!>
- 20 Report & Photos: Behind the Scenes at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!
- 21 Chicago-Family Reunion Ideas
- 22 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 23 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 24 Hotels in Beaufort, SC and Charleston, SC
- 25 Warren & Annbelle's Maui