My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 2 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 3 Yellowstone
- 4 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 5 Seeking adivce- 12 days Oregon only or OR/WA
- 6 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 7 Moving to Florida from Oregon
- 8 Redwoods National Park
- 9 Driving from Sacramento to San Francisco
- 10 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 11 Rattlesnake Ledge
- 12 March 2017 condo rental ?
- 13 Is it safe to wear good jewelry in NYC?
- 14 New Mexico in May
- 15 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 16 Dining in Old Town Alexandria
- 17 Vernal, Utah with Teens Trip Report
- 18 Traveling Alone
- 19 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 20 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 21 Last minute trip to Arizona
- 22 How many days in Grand Teton and Yellowstone?
- 23 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 24 Arizona in late January
- 25 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans