My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Oregon: Portland, Redwood NP, Crater Lake
- 2 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 3 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 4 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 5 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 6 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 7 Santa Fe Itineray
- 8 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 9 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 10 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 11 Charleston and/or Savannah in 4 days
- 12 Trinity Site, NM
- 13 Hotel in Reno
- 14 North Carolina airports
- 15 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 16 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 17 Boston to Naples florida
- 18 Retiring to Tucson
- 19 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 20 Coastal California trip with toddlers in April
- 21 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 22 best health clubs with lap pools
- 23 10 days vacation in California
- 24 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
- 25 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine