My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Redwood National Forest
- 2 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 3 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
- 4 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 5 Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- 6 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 7 Which hotel in Washington, D.C.?
- 8 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 9 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 10 Biltmore Estate - Asheville, NC
- 11 Safe travel route from Medford, Oregon to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 12 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 13 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 14 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 15 Itinary for Maui - help please
- 16 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 17 Driving from Chicago to Miami, first time.
- 18 Help formulate itinerary for Florida keys
- 19 College Tour: Harvard, MIT, and Yale
- 20 Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend
- 21 Best Places to Start Backpacking
- 22 a tourist in DC this February
- 23 Springtime in Florida
- 24 Kings and Sequoia.
- 25 Whale Watching in Kauai