My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 2 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 3 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 4 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 5 Autumn stay on Cape Cod
- 6 SF to DR? WTH!
- 7 Kennebunkport and....?
- 8 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 9 NYC Itinerary Help
- 10 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 11 WISCONSIN
- 12 rain in Kauai
- 13 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 14 Washington DC Self Planned Walking Tour
- 15 Baggage on United and Delta Flights
- 16 Washington DC in May for 4 days
- 17 Washington, D.C. trip report...
- 18 Jersey City Parking
- 19 Someplace warm and beachfront for winter 2015
- 20 MICHIGAN - UPPER PENINSULA
- 21 West coast and East coast trip for 18 days
- 22 MACINAC ISLAND, MI TO CHICAGO, IL
- 23 Washington, DC to Boston
- 24 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 25 Where to go in Maine?