My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 2 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 3 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 4 California & French Polynesia
- 5 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 6 American Honeymoon in March
- 7 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 8 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 9 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 10 How to dress in Vegas
- 11 Dining in Manhattan
- 12 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 13 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 14 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 15 St Patrick's renovations
- 16 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 17 4 week family trip ideas
- 18 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 19 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 20 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 21 From Seattle airport to the city
- 22 General Utah planning questions
- 23 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 24 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 25 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015