My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 san fran sightseeing
- 2 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 3 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 4 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 5 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 6 San Diego/ Baja / Desert / Vegas/ Mexico
- 7 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 8 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 9 Gulf coast - Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island or Fort Meyers, which one
- 10 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 11 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 12 Side Show is a must-see show on Broadway
- 13 Boston in winter?
- 14 Public transportation in Salem MA
- 15 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 16 American Honeymoon in March
- 17 Midway to Mag. Mile area -- cab or public transport?
- 18 Family Friendly Resort Vacation for Holidays
- 19 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 20 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 21 Manhattan Marriott Property December
- 22 Colorado Skiing
- 23 Best Route into NW Washington DC
- 24 Photo trip log from Grand Wailea
- 25 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC