My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to northern California
- 2 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 3 5 days in Colorado
- 4 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 5 Washington DC with kids
- 6 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 7 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 8 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 9 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 10 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 11 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 12 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 13 Safety Concerns
- 14 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 15 Sedona for a Month
- 16 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 17 Alaska -public transport
- 18 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 19 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 20 New England fall foilage trip planning please
- 21 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 22 Southwest road trip
- 23 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 24 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 25 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter