My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 2 Mesa Verde
- 3 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 4 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 5 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 6 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 7 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 8 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 9 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 10 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 11 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 12 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 13 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 14 Major League Soccer clubs, what should FC Dallas do?
- 15 Seattle Hyatts
- 16 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 17 California road trip
- 18 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 19 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 20 Best beach in San Diego for family vacation ages 8-16
- 21 San Diego - wher to stay
- 22 Mountain hiking in the US for kids - Fall/Spring . . .
- 23 Camping in the Adirondacks
- 24 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 25 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida