My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fear of driving in San Francisco/USA
- 2 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 3 Charlotte restaurant help
- 4 Fancy dining
- 5 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 6 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 7 Concert at Red Rocks in CO
- 8 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 9 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 10 Itinerary opinions
- 11 moving to florida
- 12 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 13 Alaska railroad?
- 14 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 15 Driving from Denver to Aspen Oct. 2
- 16 Top Of the Rock Reservations
- 17 culpepper
- 18 NYC Clubs for live music
- 19 Mesa Verde
- 20 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 21 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 22 Calgary to Banff
- 23 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 24 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr
- 25 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)