My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake
- 2 NYC Peer to Peer Experiences Marketplace
- 3 Lowkey, waterfront, natural area for winter months--no high rises
- 4 Chadd's Ford/Andrew Wyeth
- 5 Wedding and Romantic Getaway in Florida Coast
- 6 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 7 Road trip around Washington DC
- 8 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 9 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 10 Four Nights in Texas? San Antonio? Austin? Dallas?
- 11 Suisse Renewal
- 12 Kentucky Derby Shuttle
- 13 Denver, Colorado to Grand Canyon, Arizona Summer Trip
- 14 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 15 Place of Interest between Moab and LAS in Southern Utah?
- 16 Texarkana to Wautoma, WI
- 17 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 18 California Trip
- 19 Car rental from Baltimore airport
- 20 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 21 New Orleans
- 22 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 23 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 24 NE Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 25 Weather in Chicago