My boyfriend and I are planning a skiing holiday in North Tahoe but I'm really confused about how to organise it. There seem to be "resorts", like Squaw Valley and Northstar, which refers to the actual area on which you ski; and some resorts run their own hotels and lessons (like Northstar) but you can also choose to stay in a smaller hotel (like the Mourelatos Lakeshore in Squaw Valley, for instance) - and sort out your own lessons from a different company - is that right?
What is the advantage of staying at a resort - is it the 'Village'? Is it closer to the slopes? Is it just easier because you can get everything you need at one place, like lift passes, renting equipment and booking lessons?
Basically I'm looking for a cheap-as-possible holiday where I can have some beginners' lessons and get some practise in - I'm not bothered about staying in a big hotel with lots of amenities (although perhaps I should be?) I've never skied; my boyfriend has done it twice.
All advice welcome! This is going to be a really expensive holiday so I'm trying to make sure I make the best choices, but it's proving really difficult when I have never been to a ski resort before…
Best place to stay in North Tahoe for beginner skiers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 2 Where to stay and what to do in New York!?
- 3 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?
- 4 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 5 LA with 12-year old granddaughter
- 6 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 7 Zion the narrows
- 8 Advice on Roadtrip
- 9 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 10 Mendocino - Sonoma
- 11 Best car to rent for driving around Oahu and Maui
- 12 Santa Barbara Trip Report
- 13 A short stay in LA...Trip Report
- 14 Los Angeles day trips
- 15 Hawaiian Islands
- 16 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton Road Trip
- 17 Albuquerque to Las Vegas
- 18 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 19 Sedona & Grand Canyon - 1 week trip from Phoenix
- 20 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 21 Cabin in Asheville area
- 22 zion, Bryce,grand canyon
- 23 Seattle Transportation??
- 24 Denver, Colorado to Grand Canyon, Arizona Summer Trip
- 25 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?