Search

Sierra Nevada Ski Areas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sierra Nevada Ski Areas

My daughter will be moving to Sacramento -
what will be the closest ski area for her?
I know there are many ski areas close by-
is there a recommendation for one with less expensive lift tickets and good skiing ?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Sugar Bowl, Alpine Meadows & Boreal have lower cost tickets and this area typically receives (drier) snow earlier in the season than, say, Heavenly or Squaw Valley -- which are beautiful resorts with 58 dollar ticket prices.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Boreal makes their own snow if the weather gets cold enough and they are usually one of the first ones to open. The are right at the summit of the mountain. Sugar Bowl is just before that so they are easy to reach and right off HW 80. Those two would be the closest for her. To get to Alpine Meadows you go 89 toward Tahoe City...Also Squaw Valley is on that road. There is also a nice little place in Truckee called Tahoe Donner. It's really laid back, inexpensive compared to the bigger resorts but, if she is a really good skier Tahoe Donner would bore her. I used to ski there all the time...suited my level. If she is an avid skier and would be going a lot, she might be able to get discounted season passes in SAC. The resorts do a lot of promotion in SAC.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Donner Ski Ranch is another option (opposite Sugar Bowl). It depends on her skill level. If a beginner, I would start with Boreal and Donner Ski Ranch. Squaw has better views for beginners, but it is more expensive. Northstar is very good for intermediate skiers, but more expensive. Homewood and Alpine Meadows are probably the cheapest, but they are not the closest. Have your daughter google the various resort names to get an idea of what they offer.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM

You can also pick up discount lift ticket coupons at local supermarkets.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - she used to be an intermediate skier but has not skied for several years so may need a little refreshing.

Just heard she will be moved to Sacramento by Nov 18 - just in time for ski season
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Did I really write Alpine Meadows? I meant Donner Ski Ranch. OOOOOPS! Thanks for the clarification, Michael.

Correa is Correct: Discount lift tickets are purchased (in past seasons, anyway) outside of the area --- in an attempt to lure people into the area --- at Albertson's supermarket for $10 off Heavenly and the other expensive places. You actually buy the ticket inside the stores, just like postage stamps or money orders, typically at the service desk.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM

The Homewood Ski resort is wonderful!
The people are very friendly and helpful. The runs are great! You will
love the area. Have fun!