I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 +919878377317 love relationship problem solution tantrik
- 2 Advice for traveling with leg/hip pain
- 3 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 4 Getting my child from Stanford
- 5 Ideal Trip!
- 6 [ENGLAND] Which places to visit (london districts + city nearby)
- 7 Pa to New England States
- 8 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 9 Do you get your expired passport back?
- 10 Is there a trick to booking a "comfort" seat?
- 11 cape cod
- 12 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 13 Is there a way get a specific model of car to rent?
- 14 Lipault luggage durability
- 15 Credit card protection
- 16 Retrieving Voice Mail abroad - Help me
- 17 Husband's 40th Birthday
- 18 Honeymoon in Bali
- 19 Mid September, Canadian Rockies, Portugal, Slovenia, Other?!
- 20 Family trip to the mountains in Fall
- 21 Two weeks exploring from Salzburg
- 22 Summer destination for couples HELP!
- 23 CPAP Distilled Water for Cruise in Hungary
- 24 Around the World - 6 months, more land and less planes
- 25 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions