I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 First Solo Trip -- Mid 20's Female --Where to go???
- 2 Economy Class Seat: Bulkhead Row? (Boeing 777)
- 3 Useful travel apps
- 4 I need people to do a road trip to USA
- 5 LADIES: FAVORITE UNDER SEAT PERSONAL BAG AND WHAT TO PACK IN IT?
- 6 Road Scholar
- 7 Driving from New York to South Florida and staying over 1 night
- 8 Base city in England
- 9 Suggestions please
- 10 Credit Card FF Program Retention/Waive Fee
- 11 Checklist: What to Do Before You Go
- 12 What's your experience with groupon.com?
- 13 vow renewal
- 14 what size suitcase holds 40 pounds?
- 15 Spain and Morocco in 2 weeks
- 16 Solo Woman traveller ! Yes you TOO can make it.
- 17 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 18 Travel Agent: what to do if their cost is more than your research?
- 19 Do you know Torquay hotel in UK
- 20 Where to go for "Once in a lifetime vacation"?
- 21 Traveling tips during fall
- 22 Beach Wedding Location Ideas!
- 23 Ideas for Organizing Travel Information on iphone?
- 24 How much cash do you carry before a trip?
- 25 Home Exchanges