I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Ideas for a Christmas Trip
- 2 Ask for advices for 10 days trip in Southeast Asia
- 3 Mishap and Adventure studying English in Malta
- 4 7-10 day trip ideas with kid/teen
- 5 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 6 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 7 Early trip planning
- 8 Something different for family of 6
- 9 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 10 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
- 11 Best site for last minute travel packages?
- 12 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 13 Europe or Asia??? Best Honeymoon destination in February
- 14 Help for my wife's 40th with her best friends
- 15 Where oh where are we going to go?
- 16 Late December, early January travel
- 17 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 18 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 19 Nice, France
- 20 Finding deals based on departure location
- 21 Travel Tips in the Philippines
- 22 St croix or Cancun HELP!
- 23 Turkey - Best Route and Mode of Travel
- 24 First time travel to Italy
- 25 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions