I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Greece-Paros or Meteora?
- 2 New Traveller
- 3 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 4 Terrified traveller
- 5 Early trip planning
- 6 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 7 First time travelling outside the USA
- 8 First time traveler
- 9 Camera recommendations for wildlife photography
- 10 Help Selecting Destination for 40 Birthday Group Trip
- 11 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 12 Accommodation San Sebastian
- 13 Tips on itinerary for 2 weeks in Puerto Rico
- 14 Traveling to NW Italy (Aosta)
- 15 SIXT car rental in US
- 16 Chef for Turks and Caicos
- 17 3 weeks in Siena Italy
- 18 April - Crete v Canaries? & Pregnant!
- 19 Visit to usa
- 20 insect repellent bracelets
- 21 Top travel destinations 2017
- 22 Your Favorite Rain coat?
- 23 Best place in March to travel with kids
- 24 Tour company or DIY?
- 25 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions