I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Travel pants for women - advice needed for Europe trip (soon!)
- 2 2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach
- 3 What are the best wlking shoes for in city travel?
- 4 Visa expiration and re entry
- 5 Trip suggestions for 3-5 day vacation from New Orleans?
- 6 Dual time zone watches
- 7 Rovia booking engine
- 8 Packing Help - What to take
- 9 Places to travel in June or July
- 10 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 11 Escorted Travel Agency?
- 12 30th Birthday Girls Trip
- 13 Website for good hotel rates?
- 14 Famous Places to Visit in Paris?
- 15 What color nail polish in France
- 16 Travel Clothing
- 17 advance single 1st class rail travel with virgin trains
- 18 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 19 Where to go - Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba or Cape Verde???
- 20 Looking for travel app (iOS) to map my custom walking tour...
- 21 AVIS' car rental Dirty Tricks
- 22 Getting a Second Passport
- 23 Priceline.com "Best Price guaranteed"scam
- 24 Suggestions for a trip?
- 25 Advice to use ATM promptly at arrival airport?