I'm Bryan. I'm 25 and live and work in Chicago (Illinois native).
I have been experiencing a lot of changes in the past year, including a very unpredictable, high-stress job in the technology space. I am looking to plan a last-minute, solo trip to help myself decompress, unplug a little, and set some goals for 2014. I have never traveled alone, but am excited to do so.
My budget for this trip is approximately $800-$1,200.
Here are my criteria:
-Not Mexico, I've been there several times
- Warm and sunny (Chicago winter is brutal)
- Relaxing, but not isolating (i.e. I don't want to be going back to a fancy room by myself at some all-inclusive resort. Rather, I'd like to visit somewhere where everyone around me is going about their day-to-day life.)
- Minimal-moderate language barrier. I speak enough Spanish to get by in most places in Mexico, but if no one around me speaks any english at all, that may not be so great.
The picture in my head:
A small, yet not desolate, island somewhere south of the US. Local folks selling fruit on the streets. Small cafes run by 2 people. Groups of older gentleman sitting in circles rolling cigarettes and BS'ing. Sun, sun, and more sun.
Thank you for any input - I would really appreciate the insight of the Fodor's community on this one!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Thailand : April- May
- 2 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 3 Which type of car ?
- 4 Cape Town Ideas
- 5 Best Hostels
- 6 European chargers, Garmins & phones
- 7 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 8 garment travel organizer
- 9 replace my Nikon d90 by rx100 ?
- 10 best travel app (android or Apple)
- 11 Road Trip For Two
- 12 Estes Park to Lexington, KY
- 13 Copper Canyon
- 14 Travel through Expedia
- 15 Autoeurope car location...questions !
- 16 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 17 Round the World
- 18 Misleading third party websites
- 19 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 20 Travel ideas near spring break?
- 21 Looking for nature sights - Driving from Nashville TN - Greenville SC
- 22 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 23 vegas to slc loop
- 24 Driving with my 10 year old from jersey shore to Panama City
- 25 barbados or tulum
25 year old guy from Chicago looking for solo getaway suggestions