Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Ideas for mid winter solo trip someplace warm or cold, but fun!!

Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:57 AM
loj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for ideas for a fun solo (female) trip preferably someplace warm and safe, but somewhat open to ideas to fun cold places! I do enjoy outdoor activities like hiking in warm weather, exploring cute little towns, new cultures, all things food! I wouldn't mind throwing in a relaxed spa / pampering day in between I'm open to yoga or spiritual type retreats especially if there are friendly people around and options and flexibility to explore things of interest. Also open to educational trip for fun learning. This is a milestone birthday trip leaving a month from now (mid feb) for about 15 days or so. Have not yet done research so don't yet know what to budget, but have some flexibility. Any tips ideas suggestions would be really helpful, especially tips on "last minute" travel deals. Really interested to hear what other travelers would suggest. Thanks so much
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Where are you traveling from?

With your combo of interests (hiking, small towns, new cultures, spa, yoga, educational aspect, preference for warm weather), if you are coming from North America. I would probably suggest Central America or the Caribbean to get the warm weather you're looking for:

Costa Rica, Guatemala, or Nicaragua can offer some combination of your interests. You may be able to find some deals to Costa Rica, but it is high season so they may not be deeply discounted.

In the Caribbean, maybe look into Dominica, St Lucia, Martinique and Puerto Rico. Also Cuba (more difficult but definitely ticks the culture/educational box).
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta Mexico. That's where I most often go (as a solo female) and always have a fantastic time. You will definitely find friendly people, opportunities for yoga, and much much more. It would be easy to pull together a PV trip in just a few minutes. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post specific hotels, etc.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 02:36 AM

The answer depends on your home city and your budget.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Hawaii is my other go-to place for a solo trip like you describe. I like Honolulu on Oahu best so far.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:58 PM

Slovenia is a comfortable and excitement place to travel,cultured cities,architecturally grand,perfect for hiking and biking in summer and skiing in winter.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 10:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
TravelZoo is a great resource for finding deals. Here are some options -
http://www.travelzoo.com/vacations/caribbean/

Look at the Cuba deal. That would be a great milestone birthday trip and includes your culture and educational interests.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 05:33 AM
TC

San Miguel de Allende.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM

The problem with packaged vacations like starrs mentions, is most often they are based on Double Occupancy, and this is a solo trip.

I've never once found a package that was cheaper than what I can arrange on my own, when I'm traveling alone.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:44 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Suze, the OP is looking for ideas. That link provides some links to some warm weather ideas. Only the most novice of travelers would not know that the pp price quoted is based on two ppl traveling together. If the OP does not know that, you've provided a valuable service to her.

In any case, the link provides multiple ideas.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:49 AM
loj
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone these are great tips. I've only tried a package deal once, with friends, on our very low budget. I mostly travel solo and hasn't thought to look at the package troops alone, but I'll give it a look and see...Cuba sounds fascinating, is travel there easy?
I'd love to visit Slovenia sometime soon. I do love the sound of Hawaii. As I'm on the east coast, it might be easier to focus a search on the Caribbean, given I've left this to the last minute. I'll search more about Puerto Vallarta, Nicaragua, Martinique. Is San Miguel De Allende in Colombia, how is it for solo female?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:28 AM
TC

San Miguel de Allende is in Mexico. I have a single female friend who owns a house there and has lived for many years independently. Loves it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-...b_3721022.html
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM

<Only the most novice of travelers would not know that the pp price quoted is based on two ppl traveling together>

Wow, really? Only the "most novice travelers" don't know that? Talk about judgemental. Sheez.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM

(TC, there's also one in Columbia)
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 01:19 PM

If you look into flying out of FLL there are some inexpensive fares to Colombia due to competition from Spirit. Jet Blue is now flying to Cartagena for as little as $139 one way if you pick the right day of week.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM
loj
Original Poster

Thanks for the link and tips, San Miguel does look like a nice town to visit. Does anyone have tips on Turkey? Would that be recommended for a solo female? Is the weather bearable? Also would there be recommended places in Asia or Africa? thanks!