I'm planning a trip to South America for later this year, sometime towards the end of August and was hoping to get some insight/comments on visiting the continent. I've only recently started doing research, but for now, what I'd like to do is spend 3-5 weeks travelling around, and my plan right now is to start with the north in Colombia (Cartagena), then Medellin. From there, down to Ecuador (Quito, and the Galapagos Islands). Then Peru (Lima), Chile (Santiago), and finally Argentina (Buenos Aires, and Calafate).
I realise that 3 weeks for all this is (probably?) next to impossible, but I was hoping to get some advice and thoughts from people who have experience travelling around South America. Could this actually be done in 3 weeks? Even if it were 4 weeks, is it still unrealistic, or is it doable?
It may end up being that I only have 3 weeks, so if it is, are there some places that can be cut out, or possibly more worth visiting than others?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 1.5 days in Rio
- 2 Peru Trip for the Family
- 3 If it's Tuesday, it must be Patagonia...need itinerary help
- 4 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 5 Patagonia Hike/Travel/Explore
- 6 2 weeks trip
- 7 semi weird question re Peru Currency
- 8 Bus travel between El Chalten and El Calafate
- 9 10 Nights in Central Chile and on Rapa Nui
- 10 Where to stay in Bariloche
- 11 WEBJET
- 12 Iguazu and Iguaçu
- 13 Good women's hairgresser in Santiago?
- 14 Itineraries
- 15 Pantanal Lodges
- 16 Torres Del Paine Hiking - No Refugios
- 17 3 weeks in South America
- 18 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 19 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 20 Ecuador, Panama, or Costa Rica
- 21 Chile wine tour
- 22 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 23 Aerolineas "Visit Argentina" discounted airline pass
- 24 Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado?
- 25 How to count hotel floors in Ecuador?