I'm planning a trip to South America for later this year, sometime towards the end of August and was hoping to get some insight/comments on visiting the continent. I've only recently started doing research, but for now, what I'd like to do is spend 3-5 weeks travelling around, and my plan right now is to start with the north in Colombia (Cartagena), then Medellin. From there, down to Ecuador (Quito, and the Galapagos Islands). Then Peru (Lima), Chile (Santiago), and finally Argentina (Buenos Aires, and Calafate).
I realise that 3 weeks for all this is (probably?) next to impossible, but I was hoping to get some advice and thoughts from people who have experience travelling around South America. Could this actually be done in 3 weeks? Even if it were 4 weeks, is it still unrealistic, or is it doable?
It may end up being that I only have 3 weeks, so if it is, are there some places that can be cut out, or possibly more worth visiting than others?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 2 Colombia, best adventures for birthday.
- 3 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 4 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 5 Bariloche rafting trips
- 6 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 7 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 8 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 9 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 10 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 11 Safety warning?
- 12 Iguazu falls logistics
- 13 Packing for Chile in November
- 14 Lima stopover
- 15 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 16 Amazon side trip
- 17 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 18 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 19 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 20 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 21 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 22 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 23 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 24 Santiago - where to stay?
- 25 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego