My wife and I have free tickets to South America and so we are taking advantage of them by combining Rio de Jainero and Cuzco/Machu Picchu. Initially we were going to just stay in Peru and add on the Amazon, but ultimately it didn't interest us nearly as much as the prospect of going to Rio!
We are planning on doing 5 full days and nights in Rio and then taking a flight to Cuzco from Rio and staying in Cuzco for 4 days. Then we head back to the US. It's obviously a lot of flying and doesn't seem like a very common thing to do (flying from one end of the continent to the other!) but we are really excited about the prospect of combining one of the most beautiful looking beach/party cities in the world with Machu Picchu and colonial Cuzco. I'm curious what others think of this idea, whether good or bad, even though we are doing it regardless .
Lastly, does anyone have any advice on how to fly from Rio to Cuzco for the best price? Are there some local airlines or websites we should check other than the usual kayak, Travelocity, Expedia options? It looks like the best option is an $800 per person flight that will take 10.5 hours and route from Rio -> Sao Paulo -> Lima -> Cuzco. We have to pay for this flight, so if anyone has any great ideas on how to find something better than this I'm very interested!
As always, thanks in advance for any and all input!
Feedback on Trip Itinerary + Flight Advice
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 ObtainQuality Real/Novelty Document for all countries
- 2 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 3 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 4 Ten days in Ecuador
- 5 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 6 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?
- 7 NW of Argentina
- 8 Peru versus Bolivia
- 9 Need advise for Argentina and surrounding areas in May??
- 10 Enchanting-South America-tour companies
- 11 altitude sickness (Bolivia vs. Peru)
- 12 Need help in where to stay in Mendoza in December
- 13 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 14 Using Internet for Finances in South America
- 15 Flight to El Calafate for one day
- 16 Peru in December
- 17 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 18 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 19 NYT Article on Cartagena
- 20 Can the Bolivia experts please check this itinerary?
- 21 Santiago, Mendoza, and Need Suggestions!
- 22 Lone Male - Puerto Rico, Havana or Costa Rica???
- 23 Low Altitude airports in Bolivia
- 24 Ipad Hackers in Peru?
- 25 Getting from Punta Arenas, Chile, to Ushuaia, Argentina