initial Peru itinerary - feedback?

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
initial Peru itinerary - feedback?

Hello Fodorites!

My wife and I have booked our airfare to Cuzco. We'll be arriving in Cuzco on Monday, 5/23 in the morning, and departing Cuzco on Sunday, 5/29 in the morning.

Here's our draft of our itinerary logistics (still working on sights, hotels, restaurants):

Monday 5/23 - Arrive in Cuzco, acclimatize / stay in Cuzco
Tuesday 5/24 - Tour Cuzco sites / stay in Cuzco
Wednesday 5/25 - Taxi to Pisac in the morning(~40 minutes/$15) / stay in Pisac
Thursday 5/26 - Taxi to Ollyantaytambo (~1 hour/$20) / stay in Ollyantaytambo
Friday 5/27 - Afternoon train (Peru Rail) to Aguas Calientes / stay in Aguas Calientes
Saturday 5/28 - Early bus up Machu Picchu / afternoon train (Peru Rail) to Cuzco / stay in Cuzco
Sunday 5/29 - flight out to Lima

Any comments/feedback on 'must sees' in these towns, hotels (~$100/night or less), and restaurants are greatly appreciated

Also, regarding PeruRail, after doing research, I'm still not sure what the differences are between the VistaDome and Expedition trains are. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-C
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Hi C -

Because it is easier to acclimatize in the Sacred Valley (about 8,000 feet) than it is in Cusco (about 11,000), I recommend starting in Ollanta rather than Cusco. here's how I did it -

Flight to Cusco, then immediately out to Ollanta. I stayed at the Alberque there and loved it - easily within your price range and so charming. They picked me up at the Cusco airport.

Ollanta is worth a couple of days. The fortress is pretty spectacular, and the ruins on the opposite side are fun to climb around too. The town is really interesting.

Train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes. I spent 2 nights there as a sort of insurance policy in case the weather was really bad one day. You certainly don't have to spend 2 nights, especially with your limited time. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was unremarkable. Oh - the Wiracocha. It wasn't bad, really. The room was fine. Right on the river, about half way up the hill. Quiet.

Also, it is possible to see Machu Picchu as a day trip from Ollanta if you don't need to see Machu Picchu at the crack of dawn.

Train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco. Stayed at the Rumi Punku and loved it. Nice room, pretty courtyard, great location. Also in your price range.

Hope this helps!

Rob
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Yes, stay first in Ollantaytambo, then see Machu Picchu. I would put Machu Picchu at the middle of the trip, too, just in case there is bad weather. Cusco should be at the end of the trip. Do allow for flight delays between Cusco and MP.

Pisac can be seen either from Ollanta or Cusco, I found it easier to do from Cusco.

So I would do the 23-24-in Ollantaytambo, and the 27-28 in Cusco. Consider whether you really want to spend the night in Aguas. If you add the 25th as a night in Olly, you can take the early train to MP and the late train back. Then on the 26th you can visit sites in the Sacred Valley on the way to Cusco, eg Moray, the Salineras, and Pisac.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Sorry need to clear up a booboo before I get called out.. I meant to say allow for flight delays Cusco to Lima..you can't fly to MP!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM

see my post above responding to your duplicate post

above www.andeantravelweb.com good general info.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM

I will be staying for 80-100/night on my trip. I am going to Olly first to El Albargue, then staying one night at Rupawasi in AC, then at Unaytambo in Cusco.

robertino- how much did they charge you for the pick up in Cusco for your stay at el albargue? Also, what is there to do in the evenings there? Is it walking distance to the town and is that safe?