Help planning 6 day Peru itinerary!!

Jan 14th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Help planning 6 day Peru itinerary!!

Hi everyone! I am so excited and finally booked a trip to Peru April 5th-12th. We only have 6 whole days for all of our adventures so I would love any help or travel advice that you can provide. My boyfriend is new to international travel so I would love to be able to do a few touristy things, but as I am a world traveller I would also love to add some adventures in there to. So far we are flying into Lima and thinking of flying out the next day to Cusco(cuzco). I think we would like a few days in Lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu. If anyone has any suggestions for an itinerary, other cities to visit, great dinners, hotels, camp spots, adventures or just something that was memorable for you, we would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jan 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM

perubesttours.com
peruforless.com

You barely have time for Lima Cusco SV/MP
In the past have flown LIM CUZ
apulodge.com visited MP then backup to
rumipunku.com visit Cusco then fly back.
mirafloresperu.com best Antigua Miraflores
hotelsanantonioabad.com free LIM xport.

Good luck make more time if you can to do
the whole Gringo Trail you will barely
scratchthe surface in the time you have.
Jan 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM

day 1 - early flight to Cusco and do afternoon city tour
day 2 - do a 4 to 5 hr trek off the beaten with a san pedro ceremony www.cuscowahca.com
Or do Sacred Valley tour of Pisac, chinchero, Olly and take late train to AG and spend night
day 3 - MP/HP late afternoon train to Olly and return to Cusco
day 4 - Moray/Maras Salinerea biking or horseback riding - www.trekperu.com www.quechuasexpeditions.com or www.waykitrek.net
day 5 - Cusco shopping and late afternoon flight to Lima
day 6 - Lima city tour
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:59 AM

6 days is not a lot of time for a region which offers so much. I would spend as little time as possible in Lima and try and get a flight straight out to Cusco.

A major consideration is the altitude issue and to make the most of your time there I would go straight to Ollantaytambo in the SV which is at a lower altitude and will make it much easier for you to acclimatise. It also has the added advantage of being one of the most interesting and pretty towns in the SV. It is in a great location for touring the SV - Chinchero, Moras etc.. and for the train to Aquas Calientes for Macchu Picchu. Personally, i find Aquas Calientes a charmless place and would stay there for as little time as possible.

Pisac is definitely worth a visit (I preferred it to MP!) and could be included as part of the return trip to Cusco. You should book train tickets asap and also investigate buying a bolleto touistico to reduce entry costs in the SV.

Cusco is a great place with loads to see and some superb places to stay.

I doubt you have enought time for a trek but if you wanted to take 3 days out - I would highly recommend the Lares to Ollantaymbo trek

Some photos and more info on our time there are @ http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html - entries #56 onwards
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the great advice. A few added details: We have decided to skip Lima all together because we have not heard the greatest things about it. We are flying right in to Cusco in the morning on the 6th and leaving on the 12th.

Also we live in Denver(the mile high city) and snowboard all season in the mountains which are 8,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level so the altitude isn't one of our big concerns.
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

And please keep the great ideas coming.

Thanks again!