Is Key West crazy with spring breakers in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of Key West in March (probably second week). Does it tend to get over run with Spring Breakers like some other Florida destinations? I'm looking for some place warm and sunny, with something other than just the beach - eg a town or some place to explore. But also someplace reasonably quiet - at least not someplace full of college kids on spring break.

I'm also considering a Caribbean island or Mexico if anyone has any ideas. I would spend some time on the beach, but not all day every day for a whole week. Not into night life - more the Martguerita or two watching the sun set. This would be a couple of middle aged women traveling without our husbands.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM

The beaches in Key West - meh. The weather in early March mid-70's, warmer than where you may be from but not all that warm for swimming.

Colleges in northeast do tend to have spring break around mid March, the one I taught at sure did.

I would go to Carribbean from New England. We love USVI - St John in particular.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Key West isn't really a spring break destination, although some do go there. It also isn't known for it's beaches although the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor is really nice.

Key West does have quite the night life, but there is a lot more to explore. They do have a wonderful sunset along with a sunset show that you would want to see at least once.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Key West is way too expensive for spring breakers... you will see middle aged and seniors as well as Cruise ship passengers trying to jam Margaritaville visions into their stays...

If you want beach/relax with dinners, shopping,and lots to do, choose South Beach...

If you want a Carribean trip, consider St Thomas/St John in the US Virgin Islands

If you want a multi-stop trip, get a cruise... have fun
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Beware of the Spring Breakers who now jam some of the cruise ships.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:29 AM

I have been in Key West the past two years in March. This past year from 3/3 to 3/13, and the year before that from 3/20 to 4/2 and this past year we did see a lot of spring breakers, and let me tell you, they were pretty damn crazy! We saw things that we had never seen before and not that we wanted to but it was in our face! When we were there the end of March we did not see many. We go every year, this next March we will go probably the same as this past year.
I completely disagree about the weather. When we have been there in January and February we did not have real warm weather. But these past two years were very warm in March and we swam every day! So warm in fact, we had to run the air conditioning where we had not used it before.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:36 AM

I was there over spring break this year )late March early April) as well and didn't see very many college age kids. I have to agree with garyt22 - There were a lot of families, middle age seniors, retired couples who go down every year. You don't go to Key West for the beaches IMHO. The diving and sailing is very good though. There is some historical places which are fun to visit.

Overall, it's a great place to vacation, but for younger people looking for great beaches and party life - I'd rethink.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM

I traveled to the Keys in mid-March a few years ago with my sister-in-law and niece. My sister-in-law was concerned about the rowdiness factor in KW and we stayed at on Little Torch Key which put us in easy striking distance. We also spent a night near the Everglades (perfect time to see birds on the Anhinga Trail, felt as though I'd wandered into the bird section of the Garden of Eden), one night on Islamorada, and one night in South Beach (highly recommend if you've not been). We spent a day in Key West, ate dinner there and walked the main drag. Yes, there were kids on college break but I would have happily spent two or three nights in KW proper. I found it an interesting mix of old Florida/arty/Cuban/military and liked the residential architecture. There's a lovely beach at Bahia Honda (water is seaweedy), otherwise slim beach pickings in the Keys.