Key West Spring Breakers???

Jan 11th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Jes

Key West Spring Breakers???

I'd like to take my 70's something mom to Key West and the only convenient time is the first week of April. In my past (35 years ago) I was right there in the thick of things in Ft. Lauderdale. But today, I like things just a bit more subdued. I remember a post awhile back mentioning that Key West was just a tad expensive for the college crowd and very few make it that far down the Keys. What is your experience with this situation at this time of the year? Anyfeedback would be appreciated.

Jan 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Paul

The month of March is when they get the bulk of them. By the first week of April they start thinning out.

Jan 11th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Flamer

Spring Break is the last week in Feb till the middle of April.Some school somewhere is on SB during that time for however long.KW is of no interest to any college students unless they subscribe to the GLBT lifestyle.KW does not possess the necessary beach characteristics.

Jan 11th, 2003, 07:38 PM
L

However, Duval Street is packed with bars that certainly appeal to college students who might want to lay by the pool during the day and barhop at night, so keep that in mind as well!

Jan 11th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Katie

im a college student who isnt GLBT, and id love to go to key west for spring break!!!!!

Jan 11th, 2003, 08:16 PM
What?

What is a GLBT lifestyle???

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:05 AM
don

I went to Key West a couple of years ago and was there the week of St. Patrick's day. We stayed at the Heron House, where there was not a spring breaker in sight. I really remember seeing very few spring breakers even at night, so I guess for the most part that they mixed in real well. The one thing that I do remember, was that when we went to book a sunset cruise that the man selling us the tickets told us that the catamarans attract the sping breakers, so we end up taking the sunset cruise on the historic boat. We had done the other on a previos trip and found the historic boat a good experience also. We are in our 40s.

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:10 AM
xxxx

Gay Lesbian Bi Trans

Jan 12th, 2003, 07:13 AM
don

I just want to add to my previous post that to avoid the spring breakers that you are best staying somewhere like the Heron House that is located more in the center of Old Town. I sure that most spring breakers will be attracted to something where they are closer to the water. So go, take Mom, and enjoy!

Jan 12th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Jes

Thanks for the replies. I'll book today.

Jan 12th, 2003, 09:20 AM
xxx

WHO ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!!??????? KW is extremely popular with the spring breakers! Its one of the top destinations in Florida for them.

Jan 12th, 2003, 10:01 AM
JJ

Do you know this from experience or are you just guessing here?

Jan 12th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Squidword

xxx wrote:

xxx ([email protected])
Date: 01/12/2003, 12:20 pm
Message: WHO ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!!??????? KW is extremely popular with the spring breakers! Its one of the top destinations in Florida for them.

xxx-You are full of it.

While Key West attracts SOME college kids, the majority go to either Panama City or Daytona Beach. Cancun is also very popular because 18 year olds can drink. Florida's drinking age is 21.

By the first of April most are back in school anyway.

Jes you should be fine the first week of April.

Jan 12th, 2003, 11:21 AM
South

Key West is popular with the spring breakers. It doesn't get so many kids from out of the state but it is very popular with the big Fla schools.

Jan 12th, 2003, 11:32 AM
FYI

With Easter being a little later this year, breaks might run further into April.

Jan 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Flamer

What?-GLBT Lifestyle is
G-Guys who like guys
L-gals who like gals
B-guys and gals who like both
T-guys and gals who changed what Mother
Nature gave them to be the Other

Jan 13th, 2003, 03:49 AM
ttt

ttt

Jan 13th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Eric

I went to Key West for Spring Break back in 1996 (from Boston). It was great and there were A LOT of other straight college kids there!!! Our spring break was early March as are many schools in the Northeast.

Jan 13th, 2003, 08:38 AM
david

Went to Key West for Spring Break in 2000 and I can attest that it is very popular with Colleges. There are not as many fresh - juniors on vacation down there, as KW is really known to be stringent on ids. Most of the college kids stay on the southern side in some of the cheaper hotels and make their way up to the Sloppy Joes area at night. You should be fine if you get a place in the Truman Annex b/c they are pretty tight with not letting in Spring Breakers. B&B's a little off of Duval are also a good option.

Jan 13th, 2003, 11:35 AM
xxx

Duh, of course not as many college kids go to Key West as to Daytona. If they did, the whole island would sink! But thousands (and that is no exaggeration) do go to Key West. It becomes a mob scene of college kids seeing who can get the drunkest and the loudest and laid the most. I'd avoid it at that time if it isn't your scene.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO