Seattle Cruise to Alaska & Land Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip in September 2009 to Alaska.
We have to cruise from Seattle.
Could anyone recomend a cruise company that also includes land tours that will include Denali NP.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM

When in September your cruise starts?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I would check on Princess and Holland America.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Ooops...missed the reference to Denali. Never mind.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM

I also recommend Holland America cruise line. I did a cruise tour in 2004, it was wonderful. I did not leave from Seattle, though, but we did have 2 days in Denali.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Family and I are going on the Island Princess, we fly from Seattle to Anchorage then start our land tour then cruise from Whittler to Seattle.....the trip is with Princess Cruises and we leave 20 Aug. We got a very good deal, we think....it's a 11 day tour.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Our date of the start of our cruise will be 2/3 rd September 2009.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM

The park doesn't close but the roads aren't open as far as usual after Sept 15. Here's the link to the park info
http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...d-preserve.htm
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM

I asked about the dates of your trip because Denali National Park's road can be closed later in September. That's true, the park is never closed and the shuttle stop running around September 15-17. Every year is different. But, IMHO, the best of the Denali's fall colors are in the beginning of September. It is a spectacular show. The park is always open and the road is scheduled to be opened until mid-September but there is always possibility of snow later in September and the road maybe closed earlier than scheduled, the buses stop running or they don't run as far as scheduled. It happened on September 7.

This is what I would do. Fly to Anchorage. Rent a car for 3 days or longer. Depends how long you want to spend before your cruise. Reserve your lodging in Healy (12 miles north of the entrance to the park) at Lakeview Inn http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/.

Reserve the shuttle www.reservedenali.com for the next day. If you want to hike in the park then book the shuttle for ~7am. If you just want to ride then maybe 8-9 am? Go at least to the Eielson Visitor Center.

The next day do all activities around the park’s entrance. Drive 14 miles where private cars are allowed and hike or take a drive for pictures. If you are hikers try to book a guided hike (Discovery Hike) with a ranger the first day while driving from Anchorage to your accommodation in Healy. You need to book this activity in advance but only 3 or 2 days earlier. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...-and-hikes.htm.

On the third day drive back to Anchorage with a stop in Hatcher Pass for fantastic scenery and hiking. Then stop in Palmer for the State Fair (until September 7). If you are interested then the Muskoxen Farm http://www.muskoxfarm.org/ is recommended stop.

Continue to Anchorage. Return a rental car. Stay in Anchorage overnight or take a shuttle, bus, limousine to Seward or Whittier wherever your cruise starts.

These are just ideas but it is so easy to make own arrangements and visit Denali the way you want to visit and not the way someone thinks you should do it. Nonetheless there are many tourists who visit Denali NP on cruise tours and are happy about it. You have a small chance but you do have a chance to see the Northern Lights. You need to get away from the Glitter Gulch in Denali and this is where all tours are accommodated. These are just some ideas before you make your final decision.
www.nps.gov/dena

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Not sure if you have found a cruise from Seattle yet, but here is what we have done. I just booked and inside passage trip on Princess Cruise line for 7 days. They also have land option pkgs. WE just do not have enough time. The price was buy one get one. We got a balcony room for under $700. a person. Currently they are the best prices I have yet to see. WE have traveled on Princess before and love it. Can't wait for 9/12 day of departure.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Another vote for Holland America. We loved our cruise with them and they offered Denali tours.

One thing I would recommend if you haven't booked your cruise yet is to leave from Vancouver NOT Seattle. Leaving from Vancouver is great because, British Columbia is awesomely beautiful and it makes the cruising so much smoother sailing. Got horribly seasick along with 1/2 the passengers when leaving from Seattle. No seasickness when leaving from Vancouver because you sail closer to the land so not as much movement. I don't know about you but I hate being sick on vacation.

Also, if you do this arrive a day early. Take a taxi or limo to a hotel near Stanley park and check it out. I do NOT recommend driving from the airport in Vancouver to a hotel because people drive insanely.

Along with this you will probably pay less because of the exchange rate.

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM

I have not yet taken my cruise and had originally wanted to leave from Vancover, but when Princess came up with there 2/1 pricing. Leaving from Seattle including airfair saved us of $3900.00. I know hard to believe, but I have the booking to show the difference. We are travelers and love a good deal so this fit the bill. Means I can do one more major vacation in 2008. I love traveling with Princess. Many newer ships. Some of the older lines use older dates ships. Only you can decide what is best for you.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM

TO:
Author: cfrieday
Date: 01/31/2009, 02:21 pm

What is the Princess 2/1 to which you refer in your 1/27/09 post?
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM

In my opinion, there are big difference in Princess round trips and one ways, that reflect the price. Princess has a lacking itinerary with their round trips- IF glaciers are a priority, then you need to book some type of glacier tour, only about 25% of the sailings make the whole Tracy Arm transit, but do a great job on their one ways.

Sept, has the worse potential for weather, you need to be well prepared. Expect rain 3 days, ave temps 40-50, dusk by 7pm. These used to be "give away trips" I don't find the discounts worth going in this timeframe any longer. I used to pick these up for my second or third trip of the year. It was always superior on the earlier trips.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Could anyone tell me what the link is to the Princess 2/1 offer ?
Love n offer like that !
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Two clicks on google and here it is
http://www.princesscruisepackage.net/alaskacruise/