Mid-Atlantic states drive in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to drive from Florida (Melbourne) back to Connecticut in the beginning of May, thinking we could take as long as a week to do it. We are planning a stop in the Atlanta area (the aquarium), but between there and DC we're undecided. I've always heard about how beautiful places like the Blue Ridge Mountains, Great Smokey Mountains, Shenandoa Valley, etc., are, and we thought maybe it would be worth meandering thru that area instead of just zipping up boring old I95.

Does anyone have any suggestions about that idea? Places over-rated, under-rated, don't bother? Or places to definitely not miss? Anyone familiar with the Skyline Drive?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I like Skyline Drive for autumn colors but in May it will just be slower, twisting driving along a road surrounded by trees.

Personally I'd rather take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge up the Virginia/Maryland peninsula, maybe stopping to see the wild horses of Chincoteague, then taking the ferry from Lewes, Delaware to Cape May, NJ and then driving up the Garden State Parkway. Cape May is also a wonderful area to relax.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I like the inland route thru shenandoah (i wouldn't do skyline drive and the blue ridge, it would be a bit much and too long)

the problem with the coastal route is local traffic lights! even tho you are not driving during peak summer season, the coastal route is pretty slow. regardless i agree that it might be fun to take 13 up the coast not only going to assumteague/chincoteague (excuse any spelling)

you could stop in ocean city md, rehobath beach de (outlet shopping here- NO SALES TAX IN DE), go to lewes de and take the ferry to cape may, nj. cape may adorable victorian town, then up the garden state parkway to the turnpike or to the ny thruway onto conn.

If you do decide on the inland route it is beautiful, the gsmnp is a bit out of the way as it is very far west for your route. but the whole area is quaint except for (IMO) gatlinburg, TN very tacky touristy town.

heading north, there is luray caverns mid way along skyline drive, at the top of skyline is harper's ferry WV, filled with history and the confluence of the potomac river and the shenandoah river. (you don't see the shenandoan river much at all from skyline)

also maybe someone could help in terms of the rhododendron and moutain laurel ,dog wood bloom along this route, i don't know if you are too late....

then you head into pennsy. you can go thru pennslyvania dutch country and/or gettysburg on your way to the NJTP which gets you to the GWB.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I have driven both routes with pleasure.
Take a look at the map, and you can see that between Atlanta and Connecticut, you could stop in Asheville to visit the Biltmore Estate, see Monticello, Jefferson's home near Charlottesville, the University of Virginia, then the Pennsylvania Dutch country before blasting across Jersey to get home!

If you were NOT going to Atlanta, I could recommend Florida A1A from St Augustine to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach, up to the Sea Islands of Georgia, then US 17 from Savannah through Beaufort, SC, to Charleston, thence to Pawley's Island, Wilmington, New Bern, Washington, NC to the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel, a night in Rehoboth Beach (as Postal suggests) then the Cape May ferry.

The one thing I would say about both trips is that everything will be blooming except in the mountains, and if you have allergies to flowers or trees, start your medication before you leave.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! You've given me a couple of things to think about - probably opt now to zig east more from Atlanta instead of taking the inland route, but probably will zag west again before getting to DC and visit the Shenandoah area. (And we had planned this time to see Monticello along the way.) Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM

You might want to catch the Outer Banks, as well....