Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Richmond or Someplace new?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling from CT thru Virginia to Savannah. We want to spend 2 nights in Virginia in a place we haven't been. Looking for suggestions, please help.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Lexington? Staunton?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Lexington and Staunton are good choices west of the mountains.

In the east, consider taking the ferry from Cape May, NJ, to Lewes, DE, then driving down the Eastern Shore. Many beautiful places to stop in MD and VA. Then cross Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Virginia Beach/Norfolk area where there are more things to see than you will have time for.

Both routes potentially avoid the I-95 corridor from Philadelphia to Richmond.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does that mean you've all ready visited Cville, Wmburg and Richmond?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you enjoy doing? Do you want to venture away from I95 or stay as close as possible to it?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM

ooops. Sorry, just saw your other post.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes, on previous trips we have been to Williamsburg, Charlottesville and Richmond. Charlottesville was just this past spring. Williamsburg was several years ago & several times. Richmond only once. We like History, gardens, art and eating. We just did the western route in the spring visiting Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway, but have never been on the Eastern shore. Is it too late in the season to go that way. Ackislander's route sounds interesting. Birdie, I think you helped me on my Spring trip.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

So now I am intrigued by ackislander driving itinerary using the Cape May Lewes Ferry and then going over the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel. So I've been doing some research and am having difficulty finding driving directions and estimates of travel time. I got as far as Garden state Parkway to Cape May, then the Ferry to Lewes Delaware, then it looks like route 9 to route 13 to the Bridge to Virginia beach. Anyone have any idea how long that would take. I guess if we leave southern CT and leave time to actually see Cape May we would do the 1PM ferry. Where would be a good place to stop for a late lunch on the Lewes side? Should we spend the night in Virginia Beach or is it all shuttered up by the end of October? Is there a more charmng place to stop with a great B&B a little further south.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM

The ferry will take 70 minutes not including loading and unloading time. It takes me 4 1/2 hrs to go from Lewes to Williamsburg so about 3 1/2 to 4 to go to VA Beach. It is a great trip and it will be gorgeous at that time of year. Lewes is a charming town to walk around and has a few good restaurants. My favorite is the Blue Plate Diner a couple of blocks out of the downtown area on Savannah road. I can't comment on B&B's or VA Beach. Sorry.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie. That is some help. I started a new thread with a more specific title. I know nothing about this area, but it seems like it would be a beautiful fun ride and so different than the ones we've done before. I've always wanted to see both Cape May and Virginia Beach.