How much time in Munich vs Salzburg vs Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2024, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could use some help determining how much time I should spend in these places. We’ll be in this area for 7 days this July. Flying into MUC. My current thought is to start with first two days in Salzburg, then 2 days in Munich, and last three in Budapest.
Would anyone recommend a different split of time?
We have a few must do things on our list including Eagle’s Nest and Dachau but open to any other recommendations. We are big foodies and love cultural type things. Not huge on hiking, but we do like the outdoors.
Thanks for any advice!
Josh
Old May 1st, 2024, 11:58 AM

Just last weekend the NYTIMES ran 36 hours in Munich. It has been many years since I was there but one of the highlights was the Alte Pinotek Museum with an outstanding collection. There is also the astrological clock if I recall. Many cities in Europe feature these types of clocks in public squares but the Munich one stands out in my mind. Again it has been many years since I was in Salzburg as well but I do recall walking up to the fortress and the views as well as wandering the quaint streets, visiting Mozart's house and as it was the fall, visiting the Opera. When my daughter visited on her Study Abroad semester in Vienna, she and her friends did a Sound of Music tour which she felt was worthwhile as it did visit many of the locations used in the film and growing up she loved Sound of Music. I've never been to Budapest but she did and visited and took advantage of the thermal baths as well as visiting the historic synagogue.
Old May 1st, 2024, 12:11 PM

You are not taking into account getting between these places in your planning. Every move is at least half a day which reduces your time considerably in each place. 3 cities in 3 countries in 7 days is just too much, even assuming that is 7 days excluding arrival and departure days.
Where are you going afterwards? home? Have you booked you return flight?
Old May 1st, 2024, 12:21 PM

How long you spend depends on how much you plan to see. The time you have allotted, imho, would not be enough for me.

As mentioned above, does your 7 days include your flights to/from home? Also, how are you flying RT? If RT, you will need to return back to the original city for your flight home the night before your departure unless it is a VERY late afternoon/evening flight (which, I wouldn't risk personally).

Even if you have a full 7 days on the ground, I'd choose one area. You could easily spend that time in Munich and surrounding areas as well as Salzburg (is about 2 hours from Munich). Budapest is about 5-6 hours, give or take from Salzburg. Munich to Budapest is 6.5 - 8 hours, give or take. It would basically eat up a day of sightseeing to get to Budapest.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; May 1st, 2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 1st, 2024, 12:46 PM

Munich has important museums and excursions inlcuidng the two you mention. You might want to spend most of your time there.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjphcKoV