Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Updated Itinerary - June 2024 Suggestions please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I am finalizing our itinerary for our June 2024 family trip to Ireland. This is for myself, husband and two sons - ages 21 and 19, the oldest will be a new college graduate!! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, changes, etc.
***Dublin activities will be booked after I am hopefully able to secure Kilmainham Gaol tickets. But we are thinking of the traditional spots for Dublin - Trinity College, Guinness, Book of Kells, Temple Bar, etc. Also looking for either a private walking tour/food tour/pub tour. We don't like big groups so if here are any suggestions for a private guide or small group tours that would be great!!! **

June 3 - Arrive Dublin AM
June 4 - Dublin
June 5 - Depart Dublin around noon - Drive to Killarney. Possibly stop at Rock of Cashel along the way
June 6 - E-Bike Killarney Bike rental - bike/boat Gap of Dunloe
June 7 - Falconry Killarney / We could add something else in Killarney before we drive to Portmagee
June 8 - Kellig Michael Landing Tour (fingers crossed for good weather!!) / Looking for something to do after that before we drive to Dingle
June 9 - Dingle - Slea Head Drive / Dingle Distillery (open to other options!)
June 10 - Drive to Doolin - looking for options for morning before we leave to Doolin
June 11 - Doolin Cliff Walk / looking for options for afternoon/evening activities
June 12 - return rental car - Depart Shannon Airport

Also looking for suggestions for authentic bars/pubs/restaurants in each area. We are looking for casual and fun to experience as much as we can along the way. We are an active family and I'm looking to capture as many moments and memories as possible before my oldest son takes off into the "real world"!! Thanks so much - this forum is always so helpful!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 04:06 AM

I'll be in Killarney in a couple of weeks; staying there 5 nights and using as a base for exploring the area. We are taking the train from Dublin; the stress of driving on the left is too much for my husband! We are also planning to do the Gap of Dunloe but will hike it. Could you post a link to the Falconry company? We have friends who have booked Skellig Michael 3 times, only to be blocked by weather every time! We decided that there was enough other things to see in the area for this, our first trip.

Sorry I really can't really help on the itinerary. We are following Killarney with several days in Dublin and plan to take in the same activities, plus a Springsteen concert! Our only previous trip to Ireland, in 2022, we started in Galway (loved it) before Dublin, where my husband got covid and had to isolate!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 05:54 AM

What cindyj said was actually the first thought that hit me--why drive from Dublin? I'd rail it in a second. Pick up a car in Killarney if you need it. Hope you get great weather in Portmagee--I want to hear all about it.
AZ
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 08:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
A few inputs, after looking up our travel notes from September 2023.

We also picked up a car from Sixt at Dublin airport (drove to Kinsale). Apart from Cashel, Kilkenny is also a worthwhile stop to break the long drive.

https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/ is an extremely helpful resource with detailed suggestions for your drives : RoK (https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/ring-of-kerry-drive/) and Dingle Peninsula (https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/the-dingle-peninsula/). There are lots of stops en route with no time for everything - keep a close eye on your watch! Near Killarney, a demonstration at the Kissane Sheep farm is a fun activity, apart from the customary visits to Ross Castle, Muckross House & Abbey, Torc Falls etc.

Just FYI - as you drive to Doolin, you could choose the Shannon ferry crossing from Tarbert-Kilimer or take the slightly longer detour via the mainland.

The Cliffs of Moher – our Dingle B&B host suggested we walk from Doolin towards the visitor centre, enjoying an idyllic spot called Pat’s view on the way.

Pubs (our interest was trad music, not so much the alcohol) – we were recommended McDermotts and Gus o Connor in Doolin and O Sullivans Courthouse in Dingle. Check with your hosts – they will know about highly rated live performances.

Enjoy your trip - its a pity you don't have more time - the northwest coast (Connemara and the coast near Donegal) is spectacular.