paris hotel help re: ease of travel from airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next month, we will land in Paris CDG on a friday morning (10:30am) and depart from Orly on sunday morning (11am). Our hotel is narrowed down to either Westin Vendome or Courtyard Gare du Lyon. Based on ease of travelling to/from each airport by train which hotel location do you recommend?
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 06:56 AM

Since your best train station for both airports is Gare du Nord, I'd pick the one with the easiest transport to it. Either location has its pros and cons, so I'd focus on where in Paris I'd want to see on Friday night and Saturday and pick a hotel near that/those areas.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:37 AM

Those are two odd choices (mainly the Vendome), but if that is the criteria, it would be the Courtyard, hands down.

You can easily take metro line 14 (a really nice line) to RER C to go to Orly and from CDG, you take RER B to either RER A or D to get to that hotel.

The Vendome isn't near any obvious line. To arrive, you'd have to transfer to line 1 at Chatelet (where you go on RER B) To go to Orly, again you'd take line 1 to Chatelet to get on RER B.

Be aware that you had better be VERY very careful about pickpockets on that train line. All of them really, but line 1 is notorious for that.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 01:30 AM

Hello Nicolemp,
Only the RER B serves CDG. In addition, the Orly airport metro station will open in June 2024.
I would suggest staying on the RER B line, which serves both airports. The area around Gare du Nord is busy, but not an area Parisians like to visit. The Chatelet and Saint-Michel station areas are also convenient to the city center, but the stations are large and it takes time to get to the exit you want. I would recommend the Port-Royal, Luxembourg and Denfert-Rochereau station areas. It is safe, chic, and has many nice cafes and restaurants that the locals like. The metro map may make it seem far from the city center, but the distances between metro stations in Paris are short and the area is fun to walk around.

P.S.: There is also a bus service to Orly airport from in front of the Denfert-Rochereau station. €11.50

Last edited by ParisMetro; Mar 31st, 2024 at 01:47 AM.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:08 AM

I second the stay on the south side of Paris. If memory serves me right, there is also a bus service to Orly from Denfert-Rochereau.

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...blic-transport

Be careful about the RER B. It splits at Bourg-la-Reine and you want to make sure that you are on the train stopping in Antony.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Christina

You can easily take metro line 14 (a really nice line) to RER C to go to Orly
This option doesn't exist anymore. To be more precise, the shuttle that used to operate between the station and the airport has been canceled. I think there is still the option to walk to the main road and wait for a city bus bound for the airport. Better to forget about it and rather use Orlybus from Denfert Rochereau (by far, the most convenient option to go to Orly).
obviously, in June, life will change with line 14 going to Orly.

Last edited by rouelan; Apr 10th, 2024 at 03:11 AM.