Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ease of travel between Paris-Calais-Dover?

May 16th, 2000, 02:16 AM
Kristy

So, who has the lowdown on the easiest way to travel between Paris (Gare du Nord) to Calais, cross the Channel to arrive in Dover?
We plan to depart Paris on a Friday am, one day prior to boarding our cruise ship. Once in Dover, are taxis the way to go between the dock of either the ferries or hovercrafts to our Dover hotel? Any ideas on the price for this entire trip? Are train reservations & channel crossing resv. suggested or required? What about time involved for journey? Could we leave Paris fairly early and end up with some time later in afternoon for either Dover sightseeing or possibly Leeds Castle? Any and all answers to this lengthy story problem would be greatly appreciated!

Kristy

May 16th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Dawn

Kristy,
My husband and I have done this twice. The train from Gare du Nord to Calais is very easy, when you get off in Calais, look for a Stenis or PO(shiplines) bus that will take you to the dock for free. Then you catch the ship, which they run every 1/2 hour I think, or every hour. Get off in Dover, and then there are the same cruisline buses that will take you to the Dover train station or bus station. Are you staying in Dover overnight? The fare for the boat is cheap, I don't remember how much exactly. I think they have a website. We did go to Leeds on our way to London, but we had a car. The boat ride itself is about an hour and 15-20 minutes. Let me know if you have any more questions.

May 16th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Dawn

Dear Dawn:
Thank you so much for the info regarding the travel from Paris- Calais-Dover. Yes, we will stay overnight in Dover. Any suggestions for a nice spot for dinner. We have two children in tow so we need a family friendly choice.
Do you recall the time involved for the whole trip, and did you have to make train reservations from Paris to Calais?

Hope to hear from you on this,

Thank you again
Kristy

May 17th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Dawn

Sorry Kristy,
We literally drove off the boat and onto the highway. But coming over the English Channel and seeing the white cliffs of Dover is beautiful. Are you going to have a car? I have no idea where to eat, but I did see quite a few restaurants driving through. I'm confused about the cruise ship part. Please expound a bit.

May 17th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Dawn

Never mind Kristy,

In re-reading, I realize that you are going on a big cruise ship out of Dover (I remembered that friends of mine did this)and that you will not have a car. Yes, you will take the train from Paris (Gare du Nord) to Calais, around 2 hours, maybe a little less. Get off the train, go out the front doors, and you will see the buses to take you to the ferries. Get on a bus, and go to the ferry port. We did not do anything ahead of time (sometimes we're a bit 1/2 assed) but still didn't have a bit of trouble. Dover Castale is close by and I'd suggest seeing that. I believe PO lines has a website, and you could buy tickets and make reservations ahead of time. I'll check for you.

May 20th, 2000, 03:03 AM
Maira

Kristy;

I offered the following info to somebody who e-mail me directly. My guess is that yuou could use it as well.

When we got to Calais, we went to the ferry station (Hoverport) to buy the tickets for early the next day. We asked for a hotel in town and the following was recommended:

Hotel Climat
Digue Gaston Berthe
62100 Calais
Phone 03 21 34 6464
FAX 03 21 34 3539

It is 5 minutes from the TGV Frethun and 7 minutes from the Hoverport. Is right across the ocean coast. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The restaurant seemed to be very good as well. I have a brochure and a list of hotels in Calais that I picked up for future reference. I could fax to you if that is convenient. About the car, Calais has a good bus service and taxis, so I don't think a car is essential. We had one because my husband was there on business as well. As a matter of fact we dropped it at the Hoverport. HERTZ has a car rental post there.

The hotel seemed perfect for families.

May 22nd, 2000, 03:51 PM
Kristy

Dear Dawn & Maira:

We appreciate the advice from you both!
I have only recently discovered this site and find the responses from veteran travelers to be most informative. My only fear is posting a question tha evokes the wrath of seasoned sarcastic sour pusses who don't want the read anything they deem dull or pedestrian! Your kind words were most welcome to read.

Kristy