Best safari destinations late February to early april

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my travel for the year and February to April would be the best time for the safari I would like to plan this year. I’ve looked at all of the weather charts but I’m still a bit unclear on the best spots during this time, weather wise. A bit of rain is ok, obviously not heavy rains, and i prefer warm weather. I know a lot of people have good experiences during the shoulder seasons. Can anyone specifically recommend regions they’re gone on safari during this time period?
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 12:33 PM

Hi BB31,

I have been on safari in Botswana in February many times, March one time, and April many times including April this year and April 2021. After February, the rains taper off and there is little rain, if any, in April. In addition to less rain, the whole region begins to cool nicely as time passes on in March. You could definitely consider Botswana and, in general, later in your window is better. If you go in February and March, lodge selection is very important since the area is really seasonal and the right lodges matter.

I have been to Kenya many times in the January-March time period. In general, this area will be better earlier in your time window. The chance of big rains that could impact animal viewing increases a lot after mid-March. My last March trip was March 2022 in the last half of the month and we did have rains on the Mara that slowed down a few drives. If you want wildebeest birthing season, the best time and place is historically February in the southern Serengeti. I prefer Kenya this time of the year and I am not a big fan of chasing migration events.

South Africa is workable any time in your range but subject to hurricane style storms through the end of February. Every few years, the Kruger National Park, and most surrounding private game reserves, get closed down for a few days due to massive storms that come of the Indian Ocean mid-December to late February. Later in your time period will be better for South Africa as well.

Zambia and Zimbabwe are quite season so perhaps save for a different time of year.

If you want specific lodge recommendations, I have been to most upscale safari lodges in Africa. Just tell us your per night per person budget and the time of year and I can write up some ideas.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I was just in Zimbabwe ( and crossed into Zambia) in October and November so I definitely want somewhere different. Kenya is probably top of my list for a different landscape from where I recently was. Probably 2 different locales and possibly a few days in Lamu.
For me the warmer the better !
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 12:35 AM

Hi BB31,
I agree with Craig about Botswana being a good destination in March. It's home for me. I get out and about in every month of the year, but go to different places in different seasons. For me, March and early April is the time to get out into the desert and the grasslands. There should be plenty of forage; places like Nxai Pan National Park and the Central Kalahari Game Reserve will be alive with animals; and the sand roads should be easy driving since the sand packs down during the summer rains. All the migratory birds will still be here in March too.
There are usually some interesting events in early April:. Last year we had both the Herdboy's Indulgence in Hatsalatladi (traditional music, food, dancing and rural sports) and the Lekker Bushwalk in Ghanzi on successive weekends. I couldn't get to the latter unfortunately, but the Herdboy's Indulgence was great fun.

Cheers, Graeme
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 08:49 AM

Hi BB31,

In that case, you should be very happy with a Kenya-only safari in February or early March. On the top end, I suggest you consider Sikikoi and Mara Nyika for your safari. Alternatively, you can consider Ol Donyo Lodge and Mara Plains. Both combinations will put you in the finest accomodations Kenya has to offer while enjoying a safari on private conservancies. I have not been to Lamu and will defer to others that have for suggestions there. On the south coast, I was at AlfaJiri Villa (Cliff) with my wife in March 2022.

Of course, what I am suggesting above is the most luxurious and therefore the most expensive. The safari portion, beginning and ending at the Wilson airport, should cost about $9,000 per person sharing (are you sharing?) for 8 nights in total split between Mara Plains and Ol Donyo. The cost would be roughly the same for 4 nights at Mara Nyika and 3 nights at Sirikoi. Again, assuming you are traveling with someone else and sharing a room with that person. I am also assuming you are sharing a safari vehicle with other guests. All bookings at Sirikoi geta private safari vehicle.

On the same land as Mara Nyika is Basecamp. On the same land as Mara Plains is Kicheche Bush. These alternative properties are a fraction of the price with no compromise in animal viewing. You have not provided any budget yet so I can't get more specific.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond