Updated Travel Advisory - Level 3 - Reconsider Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I was in the process of planning a trip to Uganda / Rwanda to see the mountain gorilla but recently saw the updated travel advisory that the U.S. Department of State posted that increased the risk of travel to Uganda. Are others exercising caution when traveling in that region of the country (especially seems to be close to where the mountain gorillas are)? I'm a little more worried about traveling there and want to make sure I properly understand the risks.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 10:24 PM

It looks like Rwanda is still at level 1 (Per the US State Department) but Uganda is at level 3. Is there a way you can revise your plans to avoid Uganda?
Old Jun 26th, 2023, 04:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You might want to check Trip Advisor's Uganda forum. There is a little more conversation there, but not much, and mostly local TOs trying to reassure visitors that things are ok.
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by guycasenoi
Hi everyone, I was in the process of planning a trip to Uganda / Rwanda to see the mountain gorilla but recently saw the updated travel advisory that the U.S. Department of State posted that increased the risk of travel to Uganda. Are others exercising caution when traveling in that region of the country (especially seems to be close to where the mountain gorillas are)? I'm a little more worried about traveling there and want to make sure I properly understand the risks.

Thank you in advance!
Hi. You may have already traveled to Uganda/Rwanda since you posted this. We are leaving for Uganda and Tanzania is a few weeks. While planning our trip several months ago, I consulted with some trusted colleagues on the ground in Uganda about whether it was safe to travel there now. I was told that, so long as we are with a reputable guide while touring throughout the country, we should fine. We were assured the national parks are very safe. However, the most recent attacks outside of Kibale National Forest do have me concerned. I'm monitoring the news closely and know some of the attackers have been caught. I've been told by our tour operator that security has been stepped up considerably and the park remains open per usual. I also keep an eye on the U.K. and Canadian travel advisories, not just the U.S.

We also considered visiting the gorillas in Rwanda. You are probably aware that the cost is roughly double in Rwanda, but it may be worth it to you if you don't have to worry about the security concerns facing tourists in Uganda. We trekked to see gorillas in Uganda in 2020 and it was life-changing. Wherever you do it, you will love it. Safe travels!
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by guycasenoi

Thank you in advance!
Hi. You may have already traveled to Uganda/Rwanda since you posted this. We are leaving for Uganda and Tanzania is a few weeks. While planning our trip several months ago, I consulted with some trusted colleagues on the ground in Uganda about whether it was safe to travel there now. I was told that, so long as we are with a reputable guide while touring throughout the country, we should fine. We were assured the national parks are very safe. However, the most recent attacks outside of Kibale National Forest do have me concerned. I'm monitoring the news closely and know some of the attackers have been caught. I've been told by our tour operator that security has been stepped up considerably and the park remains open per usual. I also keep an eye on the U.K. and Canadian travel advisories, not just the U.S.

We also considered visiting the gorillas in Rwanda. You are probably aware that the cost is roughly double in Rwanda, but it may be worth it to you if you don't have to worry about the security concerns facing tourists in Uganda. We trekked to see gorillas in Uganda in 2020 and it was life-changing. Wherever you do it, you will love it. Safe travels!
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 05:15 AM

Hi guycasenoi,

I was in Uganda six weeks ago and was aware of the travel advisory in place. I too was a little wary to travel, but ultimately seeing mountain gorillas and wanting to see the beautiful country kept me on track and I decided to go. I felt safe and welcomed in each area I visited (Kibale Forest National Park to see the chimpanzees and then on to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to see the mountain gorillas). I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable, in fact it was the complete opposite experience for me. The people at each property and community I visited were so welcoming and kind. Keep in mind that if you are visiting the mountain gorillas, you are trekking in a rain forest that is in fact impenetrable – a lot of the travel advisory alerts have to do with the neighboring Congo and conflicts happening that can overflow across the border into Uganda. Where Bwindi is located along the border, on a map looks very easy to access from the Congo, but the forest is thick with vegetation as well as protected by the Uganda Wildlife Authority so it’s very difficult for anyone to enter. On top of that, many of the properties located around and in Bwindi have 24 hour security as well as take precautions to keep guests happy and comfortable. I would recommend you travel with a qualified guide as well, they know the roads and the ins and outs of the country so that makes a difference in the trip as a whole as well. I am glad I decided to go and can say it was a trip that was beyond anything I’ve experienced ever – it was magical. Feel free to ask more questions.

Jenny Falls – Safari Consultant – Travel Beyond