Search

Safari tips for late April/early May

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2022, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari tips for late April/early May

Hello,

We're currently planning a safari for late April/early May and would like advice on locations. We keep hearing about the long rains in Kenya/Tanzania and are fearful that those locations may not be options at all. Have others been there during these seasons and can opine on how intense the rain is? Alternatively, we're looking at South America/Botswana/Namibia as another option. From what I hear it may be a bit colder there, but hopefully manageable. Any advice on navigating between these destinations would be appreciated!

For context, we're looking at a 10-14 day trip, 2 people, <$1100 pp/pn, aiming for mostly safari with a few days at wineries or a beach town at the end.

We're also reaching out to some safari planners for sample itineraries and advice but it is definitely overwhelming. If anyone has gone on a trip this time of year and worked with a planner they prefer - please let me know. Thank you!
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 07:59 PM

Dear Emily,
I have been to Tanzania in May. It rained on about half the days we spent there, but just for an hour or so in the afternoons and it was actually very pleasant.

I live in the Tswapong Hills in Botswana and April/May is actually my favourite time of the year here - I expect daytime highs between 25 and 30 degrees C; night time lows of about 10, and clear skies. And in May we pack our mosquito nets away for the winter.

Good luck with your plans,

Graeme

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Safari in Tanzania

Hi Emily,
I run a site based on the safari experience in Southern Africa. So I think I might be of help. April/May might not be the best time to visit Tanzania as this is the green period in Tanzania, meaning the herds don’t migrate (so you won't spot as many wildlife). It can also be difficult to see wildlife during this rainy period, however it is an ideal time to visit the Ngorongoro crater.

I recommend a "Cape Town Safari" as being here will allow you to visit some of the best beaches and wineries in Africa.

Best of Luck with your journey-
Arnold

Last edited by arnoldshaeffer0887; Jul 25th, 2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: too much information
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arnoldshaeffer0887
Hi Emily,
I run a site based on the safari experience in Southern Africa. So I think I might be of help. April/May might not be the best time to visit Tanzania as this is the green period in Tanzania, meaning the herds don’t migrate (so you won't spot as many wildlife).
This isn’t strictly accurate. Only the wildebeest migrate, and not all of them. Big cats (lion, cheetah, leopard), elephants, giraffe, hippo, rhino, etc. do not migrate. So unless you really want to see the big herds of wildebeest, there will be plenty of wildlife no matter what time of year you go to Tanzania (or Kenya).
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 02:30 PM

We went in April in 2017 (click on my username for a trip report). We had one safari drive when it rained virtually the whole drive ... but we saw the most amazing lions licking the rainwater off each other. We sat and watched for a long time they were so sweet. There were thunderstorms off in the distance, but rarely affected us.

We were also there in August 2021. Had more rain impact us then. Wicked thunderstorms and rain drenched and muddy roads. Had to walk through camp from dinner to our tents in pouring rain. Clothes I had rinsed out didn't dry because of the humidity.

We preferred April. Lower crowds was a benefit - in fact, in two of the camps, we were the only ones in camp. They were closing after we left for a month of so for everyone to go back to their families. We also saw so many babies of every kind (including a momma giraffe with its umbilical cord still dangling as it walked with her baby).

Honestly, the spotters and drivers are so good, they will see animals before you do anyway. Go when it works for you.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 04:10 PM

We visited South Africa and Botswana in April 2016 and it was perfect. It was a good time to be Sabi Sands and Chobe, plenty of animals and greenery even though it was experiencing droughts. If you want wine, go to Franschhoek; not only were the wineries fantastic but plenty of good food, shopping, and nice walls in the area. There are nice beaches on the Cape Peninsula.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 01:59 AM

April/May good for safari Southern Africa

I agree with the poster above - late April/early May is a great time of year to go on safari in South Africa we well as Botswana. Day time temperatures will be cooler but should still be pleasant, and evenings/early mornings will be nice and chilly! Shouldn't be any rain to interfere with your safari activities!
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 01:19 PM

Hi, I would recommend South Africa and Eswatini for safaris as you'll find the largest population of white rhinos anywhere in the world there. Botswana is another highly recommended destination for safari as there are more African elephants here than anywhere else.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 02:34 AM

Tanzania is all year round destination. Actually, April and May is the best place to be as it is green and the price for Safari is lower. It might be raining for 2hrs a day, which will stop you from doing a game drive.