Road trip from Dallas to Boise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are helping my daughter and son in law relocate from Dallas to Boise. My husband and I are driving one car and they will have their 2 dogs in the other. We plan on leaving Dallas on April 21 and arrive in Boise on the 30th. We start off driving to Carlsbad, NM. We are staying here for 2 nights to hike the area, my son in law has this part all planned out, but always happy to hear suggestions. On Sunday we head to Moab and will hike at Arches and Canyon lands, I have the passes we need to get into Arches. We will stay here 4 nights. If there are hikes here that you think we must do, we would love to hear what they are.
Here's my problem, we have Friday and Saturday night where we need to stay somewhere between Moab and Boise, the most logical place would be the Salt Lake City area. But it looks like Park City shuts down in April. Is there any hiking that can be done in April in the Salt Lake City area at this time? I'm not familiar with the area and don't know what the weather conditions are. Is there another option I'm not thinking of? We are an outdoor family, hiking, skiing, etc. We also have the 2 small dogs. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 04:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What jumped out at me -- what are you going to do with the dogs at Arches, Canyonlands or any other parks?? The rules are very strict.
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

They are staying at the airbnb
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
With the amount of snow that the Wasach Range got this winter, they will be skiing at Park City until July 4 or after. If you want a good hike, Stay in Brigham City and then go west to see the Golden Spike National Historic site. You can hike on the old railroad grade as far as you want. It is an easy days drive from Brigham City to Boise.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We will definitely look in to this!
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 06:15 PM

We just got 60+ inches in the Cottonwood Canyons if you want to ski. It will melt in the valley this weekend, thank goodness. You can hike on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail which skirts the foothills in Salt Lake City. Or snow shoe in the canyons or Park City. There is also the really cool Natural History Museum which would be an indoor thing to do in SLC. It will be cold up in Park City. It's cold enough here in SLC-yikes! You will probably have to play it by ear, honestly. We are all just hoping it melts slowly or we are going to have a flood downtown like they did 40 years ago.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I hope you do not have flooding! I think we are looking into snowshoeing, great idea! Thank you so much for the great info.