Help me plan quickly- Flying Into Boston- Out of Portland ME

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Family headed to Boston. Renting car when we leave Boston to head up towards Maine.
We will have :
Day 1-3 Boston
Day 3 night-and on open!
Day 8- Fly out of Portland Maine

Where do we go on day 3 from Boston? Portsmouth? Do we go into any other state for a night? Where is a MUST?
Then day 4 Ogunquit and maybe Kennebunkport? Anywhere above Portland? For a day-- then back to Portland.

Would love suggestions! Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At this point the answer may be "wherever you can possibly find lodging available".

Is this for this coming weekend? So weeknights in Maine? That might make it easier. Do you have your Boston lodging?

Also what day of the week is the drive out of Boston, Fridays, and on Saturday mornings, can be a mess of stop-and-go nonsense all the way up.

Also what are you looking for? Sandy beach time? Rocky shore and seashells? Lakeside swimming, boating and fishing? Shopping and museums? Hiking?

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Jun 15th, 2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 11:12 AM

I would guess it might be more cost effective to take the train to Portland and rent a car there. You could get off along the way perhaps in Salem, or Portsmouth and then continue to Portland either day 3 or 4.

Then do a loop from Portland and avoid a day or two of car rental and a drop fee.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Keep the ideas coming.
“Also what are you looking for? Sandy beach time? Rocky shore and seashells? Lakeside swimming, boating and fishing? Shopping and museums? Hiking”
yes. Would enjoy any and all. Not too many museums.
we leave Boston Sunday afternoon. Yes. Driving up during the week.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunday afternoon traffic (unless it's the 3rd of July) would be mostly in the other direction, so you should be able to make it up to mid-coast Maine with just a stop for lunch or dinner on the way. The Camden Rockport area has harbor, rocky coast walks, pebble beach, a drive up Mt Battie for panoramic photos of the area, several small lobster villages to visit nearby, and nearby lakes (Lake St George State Park is a 30 min road trip with a great maine diner and a great ice cream shack just up the road) or Barrett's Cove is closer to town for lake swimming), plus Rockland for walking the breakwater, the Farnsworth museum harbor cruises or kayak rentals in the ocean coves.

Then down south to the sandy beach areas, with kids you might enjoy Old Orchard Beach with it's coney-island atmosphere, pier rides and games, and miles long sandy beach. You could easily get to Cape Elizabeth and Two Lights State Park for a visit, or into Portland if you're foodies.
Kennebunkport/Ogunquit is another idea and more laid back but still with several beach areas for the kids. With only 2 nights in this area, that gives you one full day in between for really exploring, so you really wouldn't have time for more than just the two villages.

We're still not sure if you're talking about this coming week but lodging appears available still at:
Rockland/Camden : The Cedar Crest Motel a few blocks from the village, The Glen Cove Motel in Rockport, the Pine Grove Cottages in Lincolnville, and the Rockland Harbor Hotel.
Old Orchard Beach, Scarborough: The Edgewater has a 2 double plus sofabed large room available, or the Sandpiper Beachfront has 2 qu beds. "Boisvert Villas"...bookable on booking dot com, has a large apartment available right by the water near the center of the action. Holiday House is a no-frills motor inn with 2 queen beds located a mile or so from the pier rides on the quieter end of the beach where there are a lot of vacation homes/estates.
Kennebunkport/Ogunquit area: Lodge at Turbat's Creek has a room with 2 queens available, a nicely refurbished motor hotel but it's about a mile and a half from Kport and parking in the village can be messy. Easy drive though to Goose Rocks Beach and to Nunans Lobster Hut. In town, and pricier, Mable's House (formerly the Edgewater) has availability.
And in Ogunquit, probably more fun spot for a family....pinkb.com looks like they have Wed & Thurs opentfor an in-town location with queen beds but they only have one room left. Terrace by the Sea states a 4 n minimum but if its for Wed & Thurs you might phone to see if they have a 2nighter open. Sea Chambers has a family apartment (no ocean view) open and is an excellent choice/great location.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow! All I have to say is wow! So many details and suggestions. Trip is in a week. Thanks. So-- we are thinking of going Boston to Mt. Washington then into Maine and to coast. Or we may stick to the coastline and up. It is up in the air. We love the recommendations and such so far.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 04:27 PM
J62

there are a bunch of other recent posts about mid-coast Maine - scroll down a page or 2 and you should see them.
In addition to Clark there are some other Mainers and frequent Maine visitors who typically weigh in.

Edited
Here are a few of them
Mid Coast Maine in May
Portland ME- to and from Acadia N.P.

Last edited by J62; Jun 15th, 2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 01:07 AM

Tossing in Mt Wasnington gives you a lot of extra miles and time. Do you want to take the cog railroad trip or the auto road? You could start up I95 to Portsmouth then NH 16 to the Conway area. I'm not sure that we've ever done that route only parts of it. It is slightly quicker according to google maps to go north to I93 and that,s when your plans might go astray due to limited time. I think I93 to I293 then reconnecting with I93 is more scenic since you travel along the west side of the Merrimack River and can see the old mills in Manchester. Manchester has a lot of restaurant options if you want lunch. But Concord is a bit further north with some good choices close tipo the highway. As you continue north you are going to miss the chance to visit Canterbury Shaker Village. You could even do a slight detour to go kayaking on the Merrimack. And serious mountain bikers would want to stop off at Highland Bike Park in Northfield. Continuing north you could take exit 23 and head to Meredith or Weirs Beach. The Weirs to take a boat ride on Lake Winnipesaukee. Meredith is a pretty town on the lake. You could detour to Squam Lakes Science Center and a nature cruise on Squam Lake. Then head for Tamworth with a stop at the distillery for a tasting then connect with Rt 16 to shop and stay in the Conway area. But you've missed the Flume which is a fun hike thru a gorge.

Get up early next day to head to Maine and my vote is for the Rockland area. Southern Maine is ok for a weekend getaway but we prefer the mid coast area. More Maine and fewer tourist shops.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 07:49 AM

Between Boston and Portland (and a bit north) there is way more than you can see in 4-5 days.

North Shore - just past Boston: Salem (lots of history), Gloucester (still a working fishing city, has Hammond Castle), Rockport (artist colony), Ipswich (Crane Estate gardens and historic house), Newburyport (historic town and lots of beach)

New Hampshire - Portsmouth - historic small city and Strawberry Banke living history museum

York (sandy beach, one of most photographed lighthouses in the country: Nubble Light)

Ogunquit - artsy town, large sandy beach, Perkins Cove (little artsy/fishing cove), Marginal Way (mile long sea side path between Perkins Cove and the big sandy beach

Wells - big sandy beach, lots of chain motels and restaurants, no real 'town'

Kennebunkport - artsy, historic town (around Dock Square)

Old Orchard Beach - skip unless you love tacky amusements and tons of shops selling tee shirts and sunscreen

Just south of Portland - Portland Head Lighthouse (on every calendar of Maine, also on every calendar of lighthouses anywhere), plus two more smaller lighthouses nearby (Cape Elizabeth)

Within a couple hours north of Portland - "Mid Coast" - peninsulas jutting down into the sea from the mainland, little fishing towns. Most famous is Boothbay Harbor - lots of boat excursions leave from here

Camden/Rockland/Rockport - three towns close to each other. Camden is the most 'typical' Maine beach town. Lots of rocky coast in the region, boat excursions, lighthouses, etc.

I was just in the region in May - here's my report: Mid Coast Maine in May

Last edited by isabel; Jun 16th, 2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 03:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldemalloy
I would guess it might be more cost effective to take the train to Portland and rent a car there. You could get off along the way perhaps in Salem, or Portsmouth and then continue to Portland either day 3 or 4.

Then do a loop from Portland and avoid a day or two of car rental and a drop fee.
The Amtrak Downeaster trains leave Boston North Station (BON) at 8:50, 11:50AM and 3:45, 5:20PM and take 2.5 hours to get to Portland. For an extra dollar ($25) you can stay on the train for 35 minutes and arrive at Freeport. The Freeport Amtrak station is within walking distance of the L.L. Bean flagship store.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 03:19 PM
J62

Originally Posted by tomfuller
The Amtrak Downeaster trains leave Boston North Station (BON) at 8:50, 11:50AM and 3:45, 5:20PM and take 2.5 hours to get to Portland. For an extra dollar ($25) you can stay on the train for 35 minutes and arrive at Freeport. The Freeport Amtrak station is within walking distance of the L.L. Bean flagship store.
A family with a week's worth of luggage. Let's play this out. Tote your luggage to the LLBean store, then what?

"Hey kids, you wait with the luggage while your mom and I check out the cool stuff. When we get back we'll sit here and figure out how to get to our vacation destination...."
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Ok. Great suggestions. Loving the enthusiasm.
so far. We have a car to pick up day 3 and return in Portland.
Day 1-3 set for Boston ( have any places not to miss to eat in Boston. Need 2 dinners and two lunches.
Day 3-4. Mt Washington Hotel. Looks beautiful
Day 4-where can we go in Maine.
Day 5. ?
Day 6?
Day 7go to Portland
Day 8. Fly out.

I want to maybe go over towards Camden? Open to ideas. We may want to go on a sail boat or whale watching. Flexible here.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Boston restaurants

Where to eat in Boston - $$ or $$$. Italian. Or any good cuisine. Where would you go? My kids have eaten at $ and $$$$$. We appreciate good food. Doesn’t have to be fancy.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 09:15 AM

I may have missed when you are planning your trip, but another possibility the whole family can enjoy is a whale watching trip out of Salem. Check Groupon for possible discount tickets.

Salem is close to Stellwagon Bank where many of the whales feed, although you can get trips from Boston and Gloucester too.

If you go, the temperature on the water will likely be cooler than on land, so bring a sweater/sweatshirt. Take some Dramamine about an hour before if you’re a landlubber.

https://stellwagen.noaa.gov/visit/wh...hing/tips.html
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 09:16 AM

https://stellwagen.noaa.gov/visit/wh...hing/tips.html
I don't know why the web link didn't post properly.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:53 PM

We’re meeting our 16 year old grandson in Boston this summer (for only a day and a half ) and high on his list is local seafood! We’re aiming to get to an oyster house: Saltie Girl is convenient to our hotel and takes reservations. For our one lunch, we’ll probably graze our way through the North End and include a few stops on the Freedom Trail. The final dinner is yet to be decided. I have had recommendations for Row 34 and for the waterfront location of Legal Seafood. Um, it’s a chain but I understand that the raw bar, particularly, is very good. I’ll be interested to see the other suggestions that come your way, signmeup.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:08 AM

Any thoughts on Row 34 vs Harborside Legal Seafood? I’m expecting that both have excellent seafood. Are they simply big places that strive to move people in and out? Do you have other suggestions for places with good local fare?