Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying into Dublin, driving to Dingle, flying out of Cork to London. Is this good idea or..

Flying into Dublin, driving to Dingle, flying out of Cork to London. Is this good idea or..

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
LeLe

should we change to take train to Tralee, then rent car at Kerry airport and return to London from Kerry airport. We only have 2 nights in Dingle and want to save time, plus husband is worried about driving in Ireland Any advice? Thanks!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Dottie

LeLe
I'm sorry but I don't really understand your question. Are you staying in Dublin for a while? If not, why not fly into Shannon? I'm not sure there is train travel to Tralee but why go there if the airport is your destination after driving the Dingle Peninsula? The airport is in Kilarney which is close to the Dingle Peninsula. Have you checked if you can fly into London from there? It sounds from your post that you are coming to Ireland just for 2 nights in Dingle. Have I misunderstood?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
LeLe

I guess that did sound confusing! We are flying into Dublin, spending 2 nights, then, I have decided, taking the 4 hour train to the Kerry airport, renting a car, driving the alleged 45 minutes to Dingle, spending 2 nights and flying to London from Kerry Airport.That would be, I am told, the airport at Killarney. We decided Cork was going to be too inconvenient. Thanks for replying!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Dottie

LeLe
Be sure to drive the Connor Pass in the Dingle Peninsula and go to Slea head. Have a good trip!!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Cathy

Lele
Try flying from Dublin to Kerry (se Aer Arran)if you want to save time, otherwise drive stopping off enroute at Cashel (see the Rock of Cashel) and one other place, roads out of Dublin are good until you hit the very southern part of your trip

Hope this helps

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Ann

Cathy-
Does Aer Arran fly from Shannon to Belfast, or any other airports in the Republic to Belfast? It's becoming impossible (for me) to find internal flights since Aer Lingus has scaled back so much.

Do they have a website?

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:57 AM
Cathy

Ann,

Aer Arann's web site is www.aerarannexpress.com but they only fly within the Republic - they are a great alternative if schedules permitt to landing in Dublin and site seing and then flying out of the city to one of the regional airports without the need for a long drive. At the the moment they are offering a 59 Euro special however they do not fly into Belfast - Ryanair were in discussions with one of the airports in Belfast with a view to flying there but those talks fell through although I won't be surprised if they start talking again before the summer. Sorry can not be more of a help,

Cathy