Rec for tour of Pompeii from Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2021, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in Rome until Thursday and would like to take a tour of Pompeii from Rome. Do not want to take train but to be bussed from here. Any recs who to engage? Thank you. To
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:22 PM

Brava, KRNS! No firsthand info but Viator has bus trips. We used Cityrama for Loire Valley, Bruges, and Paris by night trips so many years ago, I'd double check current reviews. Please report back!
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tudette. Weather has been rainy so not sure about the visit. I have been there many years ago but am traveling with my son who actually admitted he didn't really care if we went or not. I think the weather has put a damper on his enthusiasm.
WE are staying at an apt on 4th floor without an elevator so at the end of a days walking it is daunting to get upstairs. But we are around the corner from the Campo de Fiori market so that is nice.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't want to go in the rain, even on a tour with door-to-door transport. It's a fascinating place but I think hard to appreciate if you're physically uncomfortable (heat, cold, rain).

Alternatively, I'd go to Naples on the train and visit the archeology museum (where all the artifacts are), have some good pizza and see a bit of the city if weather permits. You could return to Rome whenever you like.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 01:23 PM

Rain makes me wonder how slippery it would be in Pompeii. As Jean wrote, Naples Archeological Museum is filled with stuff from Pompeii. Closer to home, have you spent time in the Vatican museum? KRNS, is this the son from the DC gtg?
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes Tudette, he is. He met me in DC as it was halfway from him in NC and me in the Poconos. He travels with me on occasion to keep me out of trouble. Dear husband is not a traveler, preferring to stay home with the dogs.
I like Jeremy with me as I also need his technical advice. We had to make calls to get appt for PCR test for our next stop, Morocco and I have never been able to figure out how to use my phone in foreign countries. I'm sure I can learn but it''s easier to depend on him.
I changed my mind about Pompeii as it seems the tour hasn't changed since I was there in the 70's though the weather yesterday turned out to be lovely. Today drizzling all day again.
Nice of you to remember us as I remember sharing a companionable breakfast with you!

He also can use his phone for walking directions