Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dingle- Accomadation rec? Pub / dining rec?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the hardest time narrowing down a B&B/Guest house for Dingle. We'll be there 2 nights- driving in from Ballybunion. The reviews on trip advisor are so amazing for so many places, it's hard to choose. We'd like to keep the cost ~$150/night... less would be good too Clean, charming, good breakfast are important, but most important is walking distance to town! We'll be there 6/8-9.
Any recs? I'm looking at Pax Guest House, Castlewood, and Greenmount. Castlewood will be closer to $200/night but I guess that would be okay if it was worth it!

Also- if you have a suggestion for dinner- we love good food! Doesn't have to be fancy... just yummy! or a fun pub, that would be great too. Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM

A fun pub?
It has to be Curran's pub upper main street Dingle
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM

We enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Murphy's Pub in Dingle.

We stayed in a house on the Dingle Harbor for a very reasonable price for a week in June 2009. We did many day trips from Dingle.

I think they will only rent for a minimum of 7 days though.
If you are interested, I will include the link for the house rental.

Laurie
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Murphy's Pub also offer very good value accommodation with breakfast
http://www.murphyspub.ie/
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:14 AM

I am gong to Ireland from the 18-30th of May. I looked at the same B&B's you are looking at. I chose the Pax Guest House because of the beautiful pictures on Trip Advisor of their outdoor balcony views. I even made a picture to be the wallpaper on my iphone and have been looking at it every day for 3 months! So excited!! They are suppossed to be about a 10 minute walk from town. I guess the walk is very dark at night and one should have a flashlight. Have you checked to make sure they are all available since your trip is only a month away?

The only thing I have planned in the dining department is a trip to Murphy's for their waffles with icecream. I can't remember where I read this recommendation, but I made sure to jot it down in my trip notes. Hope you have a blast and look forward to your trip report!
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Pax is way out of town and not too walkable. For pubs, I like the Droichead Beag (big yellow one on the corner of main street)
http://www.dingle-region.com/smallbridge.htm

And of course Dick Mack's. And although it doesn't look like it, the Dingle Pub is a nice locals place where we had some good music.
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Greenmount House is excellent!!! Their breakfast was touted as the best in all of Ireland. We stayed there about 6 years aso...and the reviews didn't let us down.
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We were also looking at Pax Guest House, Greenmount, Coill An Rois, and Milestone-----any comments?

We would like to walk but really don't mind driving into Dingle for dinner as long as the parking is fairly easy.

TXgalinGA and knwolf-----looking forward to your trip reports as we aren't going until Sept.
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM

We loved the Greenmount on our visit several years ago. Each room is charming, a 5-10 walk to town. The breakfasts were fabulous- ordered your entree and also had sideboards laden with beautiful dishes of other delectables.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM

If you want some non-pub food, Tir na Ri is a great Chinese restaurant in town. The owner's name means King in Chinese, and so does Ri in Irish, thus being 'Land of Kings'
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM

We spent two nights with Mary and Denis at The Lighthouse in April. Her front rooms have a terrific view of the town. It is a bit of a walk up the hill, but not too strenuous. We made the trek multiple times, and me with achilles tendonitis. They have a great guest lounge with a computer for your use, as well as a telescope. I would stay there again without any hesitation.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Agree with allisonm.

We stayed there in June of '04 -- wife and I, our daughter and her husband. We had the two front, upstairs rooms with TERRIFIC views of the bay.

Great house, gracious hosts.

Bob
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all- I went ahead and splurged on Castlewood- we'll be there 2 nights... and actually, even though it's a splurge to me, it's nearly the same price that all the other places charge for a double room. (Pax is booked, Greenmount is the same price, as are several others that I contacted.) I'm very much looking forward to our stay in Dingle!