Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any good Tours to Pompeii from Rome? Or just stay somewhere near Pompeii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Garry

We are going to be in Italy for 2 weeks. We will be visiting Pompeii and was looking for recommendations for cities and places to stay or tours from Rome. (Transportaion etc. ) Afterwards we will be going to Rome.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 06:24 PM
wendy

Why not stay a night or two in Naples? Pompeii is short train ride. Naples is a fascinating, vibrant, chaotic city and definitely worth a stop.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Scott

Hi. We went on our honeymoon in 96 and did this. We stayed in Naples and didn't like it. Probably because we didn't know where to stay but later realized how cheap everything was in Naples. That is an option if you can find a nice place to stay. We decided for next time to stay in Capri or Sorrento. You can take the train from Rome to Naples and then either the ferry to Capri, which is unbelievably beautiful although expensive, and then go back to the mainland via ferry to Sorrento and the train up to Pompeii. OR you can go from Rome to Naples and then train along the coastline down to Pompeii. After seeing Pompeii in a few hours, you can get on that same train and go to Sorrento. From there you can do the reverse of what I mentioned before. Boat to Capri and then when you are done with Capri, boat to Naples and then back up to Rome. Capri is a must see, even if for a day. Have fun!!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Giacinto Lubrano

Hallo, may I suggest Procida Island as base to visit all Naples <BR> surroundings as Pompei, Capri, Vesuvio, Ercolano etc. <BR> I have an hotel here and the Url is: www.hotelceleste.it. <BR> I see the satisfaction of this choice showm by my guests, of course <BR> all is depending on what you like, if crowdy place, well Procida Island <BR> is not this kind of place or exclusive for VIP. <BR> Anyway enjoie Italy, Giacinto Lubrano.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Syl

Garry, this is what worked for us. Had been in Rome for 4 days (3/5-3/9/01) and decided we needed a change of pace. We took a two day tour with Vastours to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. For about $200/pp it included bus p/u at Rome hotel, drive through Naples, guided tour of Pompeii(about 2 hrs./awesome place!), lunch, drive to Sorrento, stay at Bristol Hotel(incld. dinner & breakfast),ferry trip to Capri,boat trip to see the Blue Grotto, bus trip to top of Capri (Anacapri) and a chance to shop at the myriad of lovely little shops,a wonderful luncheon,fabulous views and a return to Rome hotel. We loved it,but realize this type of tour doesn't appeal to everyone. Must say I was so fascinated by Pompeii, I came home and started reading more about it. Happy travels.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Garry

Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to seeing the sights of this area.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:31 PM
BG

Hi Garry, <BR> <BR>Regarding the previous post. We were in Italy last August and took Vastours to Capri. Hated the service. The bus was dirty. All the tour guide did was talk to the bus driver (none stop!). Our bus broke down so we had to switch buses. We were there in August and it was really hot. The aircondition in the bus was not working properly.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Syl

Just a followup note on Vastours in Rome. We must have been really lucky as we took 3 tours while there earlier this month...1.Ancient Rome/Forum,2. Tivoli& Villa d'Este & Hadrian's Villa and 3. Sorrento overnighter. We were very pleased with the first and the last and the Tivoli one was just so-so. However, on all three the buses were clean, guides were very informative and helpful and a/c was working ok. Thank goodness we had good experiences and not the bad luck that BG had especially in August heat!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Garry

Thanks for the tip! <BR>How much are the tours and are they available at the hotels one would stay at?

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 04:57 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>If you do a search on this forum for Pompeii you will find some excellent suggestions for going to see Pompeii on your own as a daytrip from Rome, including info on the trains and connections.