British pub book or website?

Mar 28th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Lucy

British pub book or website?

Does anyone know of a good book or website that describes and recommends good pubs in Britain? Would like to do some reading up and planning for our upcoming trip. Thanks in advance.

Mar 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Carl

www.goodpubguide.com

Mar 28th, 2001, 02:19 PM
KT

The Good Beer Guide put out by the Campaing for Real Ale: http://www.camra.org.uk/

Mar 28th, 2001, 02:19 PM
KT

That's "Campaign," of course. And I don't even drink...

Mar 28th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Little bit

... for you there, Carl?

from the website you cited...

<meta name="Description" content="The Good Pub Guide - The best guide to the best pubs in Ireland">

<meta name="KeyWords" content="irish pubs, Irish Pubs, drink, drinking, beer, irish, ireland, pubs, pubs, guide, pubs in ireland, good pubs,">

she asked for British, m'lord...

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Joyce

Hi! check out www.classicpubwalks.com really interesting ,history ,locations,and directions. You can also check London elite for London pubs and the British tourist authority sight may also be helpful. j

Mar 30th, 2001, 12:03 AM
Carl

Sorry, I'll try again:

www.goodguides.com

Regards
Carl

Mar 30th, 2001, 02:35 AM
scott

There are only two guides worth considering The Good Pub Guide and The Good Beer Guide. I have both current editions - can't remember the exact prices but the GPG is about 14 or 15 and the GBG is 11 or 12, both available from all reasonable sized bookshops.
GPG is probably better if you are interested in finding quaint pubs that serve reasonable food. GBG is focused on pubs that serve good quality Real Ale and contains info on all the breweries in the UK and their beers. There is quite a bit of overlap between the guides (after all good pubs are likely to sell good beer). In general for any given area of the country the GPG has fewer but more detailed entries compared to the GBG. Which guide you want depends on your interests but IMHO the GPG would serve most beer-uninterested tourists better.
IMO if you are really interested in pubs get off the beaten track and use a guide - there are so many poor pubs in London that survive on transitory visitors I am sometimes ashamed.

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Jon

I found a great coffeetable book called "Historic Pubs of London," by Ted Bruning. Full of glossy photos, the text describes the history (oftentimes including famous patrons of the past), menu, brews served, etc. of about 100 London pubs of character.

I bought locally, but I'm sure it can be found on Amazon.

j.