Don't pack your umbrella for Paris

Mar 30th, 2001, 02:17 AM
Lu

Don't pack your umbrella for Paris

Rain, rain, rain. But don't pack your umbrella. Buy one there! There are wonderful shops selling ALL types of fabulous umbrellas in all prices ranges.

So, don't pack yours, buy a new one.

We had one with us and were caught in a rainstorm on St. Germain Blvd, stopped in a shop, very tiny, where people were waiting our the door to make a purchase and the little old French shopkeeper was quite charming!

Mar 30th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Ursula

Lu, hi again! I already thought you would tell us the big and never ending rain was over for some time!
Well, they ideed annouce some spring weather to come!
That would be even better than a fabulous umbrella purchased in Paris, right?

Mar 30th, 2001, 02:56 AM
Lynne

Just back from a week of rain in Paris...used umbrellas most days, although the wind was too strong on a few occassions. My husband and I wore Gore-tex hats with big brims that worked well, too. I want to know how the Parisians avoid looking like wet rags with all this rain!

Mar 30th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Lu

I noticed that they sold umbrellas that had a "cord" attached from the handle to the edge of the umbrella to keep it from turning inside out.

Yes, plenty of rain, but also lots of green and beautiful flowers already. It did inhibit some walking at times. So, then, we did the naturally best alternative. Sat in a cafe and drank bordeaux!

As for the wet rag look, hmmm, don't know, though I bought a fabulous wide brimmed hat from a hatmaker on Rue Dauphine. It helped, but I didn't look like a Parisienne! ;-)

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Last May I lost my expensive American-made umbrella somewhere in Ghent, Belgium. At the same time I realized it was gone, right across the square I spied an umbrella shop. A whole store selling the highest quality umbrellas at very good prices. I paid about half what I paid in the states, for a lighter, more compact, sturdier, more fashionable model.

I won't be losing this one. Or I guess I'd have to go back. Hmmm.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Beth Anderson

you know, I NEVER pack an umbrella. ever.

I look at it like this:

1. another thing to pack
2. I always lose them anyway - here, there, everywhere. so I may as well buy one there & bring it home. I won't have it more than 3 months anyway. just in time for another jaunt.
3. if I DO need it, I buy one - another reminder of my trip.
4. maybe not having one makes you lucky in the rain dept. I've spent month long trips in the UK, and always managed to be a day ahead of the rain. (ok, so this is a stretch)