Vienna vs Venice

Mar 10th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Jim

Vienna vs Venice

Traveling into Munich to pick up a new BMW from the plant and will spend a week driving and sightseeing. Will return home from Munich. Does anyone have an opinion about going to Vienna versus going to Venice and places to stay in each?

Mar 10th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Linda

I can't really speak to Venice but Vienna is great. You could drive to Berchtsgaden, Salzburg and to Vienna. Whether you enjoy culture, ferris wheels, drinking wine, shopping, horses, etc.; Vienna has it all. Try nethotels.com for information re hotels/pensions and events occuring while you are there.

Mar 10th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Tangata

Vienna any time! Besides your BMW will want the autobahns!

Mar 10th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Bob

I have been to both cities a few times each. We enjoy the Berchtesgaden area and Salzburg very much, but if you are having to decide between Venice and Vienna only, I would do Venice.

Whether you like Venice or not, it is unique and one of a kind. Every traveler should experience this city at least one time. On the other hand, Vienna is nice with plenty of great old buildings, but it is still a regular European town. I was just there in October and again did not develop any burning desire to return someday or did not develop any great memories. In Venice, you will. Especially in the evening when the tour boat day trippers depart.

Now you will get to read 20 other posts on how crowded Venice is. But they will all have definite opinions on this city. With Vienna it is not that way. Bottom line: Vienna, nice big town, pretty river, big ferris wheel, lots of shopping. Expensive with one way streets to figure out. Sort of like 50 other European cities. Venice, there is only 1. For better or worse, only 1.

Where to stay? We used the Al Gambero in Venice on Calle dei Fabbri and were very pleased. Good location. Clean, though small rooms, and priced well. We will stay there again.

Mar 10th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Bob Brown

Having seen both, I don't know what to tell you because the two are so different. It is like comparing fine wine to fine paintings. They are not on the same scale, so it is very difficult to put some kind of a quantitative measure on it. My suggestion is to read guide books on both places and then decide for yourself. I don't want to recommend one over the other.

Mar 11th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Mike

Jim,
I was interested in the BMW European delivery myself. Is there a significant savings compared to the US MRSP prices?

Mar 16th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Wiltw

I'm picking up my BMW, too, in June! Vienna is close enough to get from Munich in a full day with ease. Venice will take a longer time. I have driven into Vienna on business and stayed in Austria touring for about 10 days, but only been just outside Venice. (long story) Bavaria and Austria to the west of Vienna (S and SW of Salzburg) are beautiful. That's what my wife and I are doing in June.

Mar 16th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Les

In Vienna, you feel like you're visiting a historic city with a rich background.
In Venice, you feel like you're living in one!
Venice, without thinking twice.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Viennabased

Venice may be the choice of cities except for one thing - aren't you going to worry a bit about your new BMW? Where are you going to park it? It is going to be a real temptation to a lot of thieves while you are enjoying Venice.