Levi's in Spain

Mar 29th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Christian

Levi's in Spain

Hello, I am off to Spain in two weeks and I had sort of an unusual question. A few friends recommended that I take a few extra pair of Levi's(blue jeans) because they are in high demand there and that I would be able to trade with them for souvenirs, etc. Has anyone heard about this? Or recommend this? Thanks in advance.

Mar 29th, 2001, 08:51 PM
xxx

I think that your friends have been living in a time warp since the 60's. How much would they be worth in a thrift shop here in the US? That's what they'll be worth there. Easier to slip an extra twenty dollar bill in your wallet than an extra pair of jeans in your luggage.

And to get an idea what you might experience, go to the nearest gas station here in the United States, offer them a pair of jeans and ask how much gasoline you can pump for them.

Your friends may be confusing Spain with the third world.

Mar 30th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Mariarosa

Back in '88, my very-distant cousins in Palma de Mallorca told me how popular Levi's (pronounced "levees") were in Spain. Back then they were really expensive and they were curious about their price in America. Now, that was 13 years ago! I can't imagine that the same fashion imperatives are around today!

Mar 30th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Niki

I agree with the other two posters. I was just there 1 1/2 years ago. They aren't worth anything more in Spain than they are in the States. In fact, I would be surprised to hear of any Western European country where Levi's (or any other American stuff) are still in demand.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:27 AM
frank

Last time I was in San Francisco (on business, visiting from Scotland) Saturday afternoon came round so I asked the woman I was travelling with what we should do with the day.
She replied that her friend had asked her to get her a pair of Levis as they were $8 cheaper there, so she was going to look for them for her."Some friend" I said, running away fast.
If this is how you want to spend your vacation (is it?), fine, but if you are that broke I can't see how you can afford to go!Suggest you work out how much the trip costs, divide that by the number of free waking hours you will have to yourself, then work out how much you are paying to work selling black market clothing...

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:32 AM
angel

Does this explain why so many people have jeans that fit them so improperly???