Please help: Glacier National Park Plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be travelling to GNP with my wife and two kids (14 and 11 years old). Please help me with improving the plan below

​​​​​​Aug 18th fly into Bozeman at 1:30 pm (from Maryland). Rent a car and drive up to Columbia Falls. Is it possible to rent a kayak for an hour at flathead lake? Any other scenic spots on our way for us to stop for?

Aug 19th. Take the 4-hr red bus tour from Apgar to Logan Pass and possibly kayak on Lake Mcdonald or go to the trails of the cedars.

Aug 20th. Drive to Grinnell Glacier and hike in that area. We can hike for 1-2 hours, not longer than that Is there anything else we can easily add to this day? Avalanche Lake? Highline trail? Or Grinnell is enough? We then stay in Babb for the nights of the 20th and 21st.

August 21st. Drive from Babb to Many Glaciers. Is that area worth a whole day or should we add something to it? Iceberg Lake? Swiftcurrent falls? Anything else?

August 22nd. Drive down from Babb to West Yellowstone. Is adding Two Medicine Lake on to that day too aggressive?

Many thanks for all your help.
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 04:07 PM

I would buy bear spray and familiarize yourself with its use for your hikes in Glacier and Yellowstone https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/bearsafety.htm Costcos in Montana usually sell a 2 pack or any sporting goods store in the area should have it.

Trail of Cedars is very short. You could continue hiking to Avalanche Lake if you want a longer hike and are able to find parking. Trail of Cedars/Avalanche Lake is extremely popular.

The hike to Grinnell Glacier starts at Many Glacier and is 11 miles roundtrip unless you take the boat over which shortens it to 7 miles Many Glacier | Glacier Park Boat CompanyGlacier Park Boat Company There are construction delays on the road to Many Glacier this year to be aware of https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...rojectwork.htm

Avalanche Lake or Highline will require an entry reservation for the GTSR if you do it on a different day from your tour reservation. If you're able to get a reservation I would just hike along the GTSR and save Grinnell Glacier for the 21st. Hidden Lake Overlook is a nice shorter hike but Logan Pass is also an extremely popular trailhead so parking can be difficult. Another nice shorter hike is St Mary & Virginia Falls. These are more 1-2 hour hikes than some of the other ones you mention.

If you're unable to get an entry reservation you can take Hwy 2 which is outside of the park to the east side. Be aware of construction delays on Hwy 2 as well https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...21-2021web.pdf If you take Hwy 2 you can stop at Two Medicine on your way to Babb.

Last edited by Patty; Jul 17th, 2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Hi Jonah- how was the red bus tour? Any after thoughts you can share about your trip? We are headed to Glacier this August and I'd love your feedback!
Thanks, Heather
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 09:14 PM

Whitefish is a charming time if you have time to spend a few hours there. It's a neat Western town with cute shops, art galleries and some atmospheric restaurants.