Search

Which Island for a live/ work vacation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Island for a live/ work vacation

Hi folks,
I have the ability to work remotely and I've always wanted to try living and working somewhere in the Carribean for a month, especially since I am from the Pacific Northwest I'd like to escape a month of the drear and rain. I need a reasonably high speed internet connection to work East Coast USA hours. Ideally I'd love to live somewhere near a really nice beach that isn't incredibly crowded, near where I could go snorkeling or diving --but I'm open to other suggestions as well for different experiences. It's really about having a kind of adventure. If this is reasonable, I'd like to keep the monthly rent $3000 or under. Thank you my friends,

Airman Carderbeer
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:16 AM

If you are a US citizen you’ll find it infinitely easier to live/work in Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra or any of the US Virgin Islands as you will already have residency and work status. On most other islands in the Caribbean you will not be allowed to work legally (even remotely) without obtaining a Work Permit and they are often difficult and time consuming to get (especially if you are only planning to stay for a month - it can take up to 6 months to get the permit). Of course, you could always try to stay/work illegally on any island for a month but that carries some risk.

Based on your other desires on your wish list St. John in the US Virgin Islands has everything you want. Your $3,000 rental budget will be more than adequate.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't realize I couldn't even work remotely for a month without a permit in those other areas. I was just looking at St. Johns so maybe that's the best match. Do you have any tips about the island? Thanks again.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 11:17 AM

Just so you know, the island is St. John (no “s”) - St. John’s is the capital city of Antigua, a completely different island and not part of the USVI’s.

Old Oct 6th, 2019, 06:28 AM

You can check www.vimovingcenter.com for tips about moving to and living in the USVI.
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eastenderusvi
You can check www.vimovingcenter.com for tips about moving to and living in the USVI.
I thought the OP was only talking about a one month vacation - not moving to the islands.
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoamsAround
Just so you know, the island is St. John (no “s”) - St. John’s is the capital city of Antigua, a completely different island and not part of the USVI’s.
I stand corrected... thank you! Yes, a one month live work "vacation", where I would spend most weekdays working east coast U.S. hours.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Oopsie! I didn't see the one month part. However, I still think the OP might get good info from the Moving Center on an extended stay, especially re: internet services and the availability of short-term housing.