Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which Island for a live/ work vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-island-for-a-live-work-vacation-1672516/)

airman_carderbeer Oct 4th, 2019 07:47 AM

Which Island for a live/ work vacation

Hi folks,
I have the ability to work remotely and I've always wanted to try living and working somewhere in the Carribean for a month, especially since I am from the Pacific Northwest I'd like to escape a month of the drear and rain. I need a reasonably high speed internet connection to work East Coast USA hours. Ideally I'd love to live somewhere near a really nice beach that isn't incredibly crowded, near where I could go snorkeling or diving --but I'm open to other suggestions as well for different experiences. It's really about having a kind of adventure. If this is reasonable, I'd like to keep the monthly rent $3000 or under. Thank you my friends,

Airman Carderbeer

RoamsAround Oct 4th, 2019 09:16 AM

If you are a US citizen you’ll find it infinitely easier to live/work in Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra or any of the US Virgin Islands as you will already have residency and work status. On most other islands in the Caribbean you will not be allowed to work legally (even remotely) without obtaining a Work Permit and they are often difficult and time consuming to get (especially if you are only planning to stay for a month - it can take up to 6 months to get the permit). Of course, you could always try to stay/work illegally on any island for a month but that carries some risk.

Based on your other desires on your wish list St. John in the US Virgin Islands has everything you want. Your $3,000 rental budget will be more than adequate.

airman_carderbeer Oct 4th, 2019 10:03 AM

Thanks, I didn't realize I couldn't even work remotely for a month without a permit in those other areas. I was just looking at St. Johns so maybe that's the best match. Do you have any tips about the island? Thanks again.

RoamsAround Oct 4th, 2019 11:17 AM

Just so you know, the island is St. John (no “s”) - St. John’s is the capital city of Antigua, a completely different island and not part of the USVI’s.

eastenderusvi Oct 6th, 2019 06:28 AM

You can check www.vimovingcenter.com for tips about moving to and living in the USVI.

janisj Oct 6th, 2019 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by eastenderusvi (Post 16996753)
You can check www.vimovingcenter.com for tips about moving to and living in the USVI.

I thought the OP was only talking about a one month vacation - not moving to the islands.

airman_carderbeer Oct 7th, 2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround (Post 16996132)
Just so you know, the island is St. John (no “s”) - St. John’s is the capital city of Antigua, a completely different island and not part of the USVI’s.

I stand corrected... thank you! Yes, a one month live work "vacation", where I would spend most weekdays working east coast U.S. hours.

eastenderusvi Oct 9th, 2019 08:39 AM

Oopsie! I didn't see the one month part. However, I still think the OP might get good info from the Moving Center on an extended stay, especially re: internet services and the availability of short-term housing.