I wanted to get your feedback on this 14-day itinerary for two families (4 adults with 3 kids: 4, 5 and 6 yrs old) during the Christmas break. We want to balance the Mayan ruins with the beaches keeping the kids' enthusiasm in mind. Thus, we have restricted ourselves to only 3 ruins (Uxmal, Chichén Itzá and Tulum). We are also renting a SUV for convenience so we can get to the ruins easily.
Day 1: Leave USA and fly into Cancun, and check into a Cancun hotel.
Day 2: Check out of Cancun hotel, and drive to Merida. Attend "Mérida on Sunday" festival.
Day 3: Late afternoon, get to Uxmal (sound and light show at night), return to Merida.
Day 4: Morning, go to Uxmal for ruins in detail, and proceed to Celestún National Wildlife Refuge. Return to Merida.
Day 5: Morning, check out from Merida and drive to Chichén Itzá ruins to see in detail, and procced to Playa del Carmen to check into an AI resort.
Day 6: Just relax and spend day at resort.
Day 7: Spend a day at Xcaret eco archaeological park for family fun.
Day 8: Day trip to Cozumel in a ferry for snorkeling. Chill and spend the rest of the day at resort.
Day 9: Spend second day at Xcaret eco archaeological park for family fun.
Day 10: Just relax and spend day at resort.
Day 11: After lunch, quick trip to Tulum for ruins and spend day at the beach.
Day 12: Just relax and spend day at resort.
Day 13: Just relax and spend day at resort.
Day 14: Check out from resort and leave for USA.
* Should we also go to Isla Mujeres as well?
* Will we need a car in Playa? That is, will taking a taxi to all the places be cheaper than renting ($100/day incl taxes)? I found this fare sheet (http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-info-taxi-fares.html) but I am not sure how accurate it is.
* Do you recommend two days to visit Xcaret? It has so many things to do that I did not want to rush through everything in one day. Plus, the price for the second day is only $20 more (http://www.xcaret.com/xcaret-2-days).
* Do you recommend spending any time in Cancun at all?
* Any other thoughts on places we should visit or experiences to have?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 http://myhealthpeak.com/sonix-garcinia-review/
- 2 Trip to Costa Rica - Pura Vida
- 3 Merida in March
- 4 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 5 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 6 Mexico in March - questions
- 7 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 8 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 9 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 10 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 11 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 12 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 13 travel in Yucatan
- 14 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 15 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 16 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 17 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
- 18 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 19 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 20 What is the best place to visit in Costa Rica for 18 year olds?
- 21 Insect Repellent, Sunscreen in Belize?
- 22 Muyil Ruins and Sian Ka'an Biosphere, Meixco
- 23 Brunch / Lunch for 8 with fix price?
- 24 Another Yucatan trip report
- 25 Trip Report - Yucatan
14-day trip for a family with young kids to Playa and Mayan ruins.