Tulum or Chichen Itza?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Tene

Tulum or Chichen Itza?

I will be travelling to Cancun with my boyfriend in November of this year, staying a Le Meridian (which I have been reading is fabulous)and we will probably take one tour to the ruins. However, I'm not sure which one will be the best, and we're not going to both. Can anyone let me know his/her experiences and which one you recommend? Also anything else I should look out for to avoide being ripped off. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Tene

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Sant

Depends on how serious you are about seeing Mayan ruins. If you're really into it, Chichen Itza is way better, but it's an all day (and night if you want to see the light show) affair. But if you're there for a short time, and romance is the main purpose of the trip, I'd stick to Tulum, and maybe snorkeling at nearby Xel Ha as well.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Tene

Thanks for this Sant. The trip is more about relaxation than anything, but I would like to experience the culture and historical landmarks as well. We will be there for 6 days, so I don't mind being somewhat active for 2. The idea of snorkeling sounds like fun.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Nancy

Tene,
The two are very different from each other. Chichen Izta has many large structures and takes hours to see properly. The climb and view from El Castillo there is truly awe-inspiring.
Tulum is on a bluff overlooking the ocean and is gorgeous. There is a beautiful beach there. Flying there takes much less time and means more time for seeing the ruins.
I would recommend renting a car, leaving early in the morning, and driving to Tulum down highway 307 - a little over an hour. See the ruins, (two or three hours). Close by, in Tankah, there is the coolest beach bar (Casa Cenote) with great food and Margaritas. After lunch and a swim, go to Akumal (on the way back up to Cancun) for great snorkeling in Yalku Lagoon or Half Moon or Akumal Bay.
This will allow you to avoid some of the more touristy spots where busloads of people go to snorkel. You can relaxed unhurried, with no screaming kids to kill your happy tequila buzz

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Nancy

Whoops, sorry. Meant fly to Chichen Itza, not Tulum. You can take air charters out of Cancun for about $125 pp. Or take the big A/C buses as well.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Tene

Thanks for this info Nancy. I like the idea of being able to snorkel and have drinks at Tulum. However, I don't think we're up to renting a car. I would probably check out the options of tours from the hotel and let them handle the transportation, which means I probably won't be able to go to Akumal, but as long as I get to see some ruins, I'll be satisfied. Thanks again.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Nancy

I understand completely. Driving on Hwy 307 (and in Cancun)can be a little intimidating.
It is easier when first visiting the area to let the hotels book tours for you and you can go get your bearings and see places you might like to return to on your own next the time you go back.
If you don't mind crowds, you can do the Tulum/Xcaret or Tulum/Xel Ha excursion. Fast a/c buses that are heaven to get back onto after a HOT few hours at Tulum. Make sure to take plenty of water. You're not likely to get ripped off anywhere. Ask cab drivers how much the total fare will be before you get in the cab.
You can usually barter with the stores in the Zona Hotelera except for the ones in the malls. You can get especially good deals on silver jewelry. Have fun!