I have read the past Alsace discussions, and have found them quite useful. However, I am still at quite a loss with how to spend MY time in Alsace.
I will be travelling with two 15 year old girls. We will be in France for a week. We thought to spend the first four days (Monday -- Thursday nights) in Paris. '
On Friday I was planning to take the TGV to Strasbourg (arriving mid-day) returning via TGV to DG Airport on Sunday night -- so two nights in Alsace. (We fly out of DG on Monday morning, and plan to stay at the DG Sheraton on Sunday night.) We were planning to rent a car in Strasbourg. The time of year is early April (yes, THIS early April!)
So I sound all organized and all, but once we're in Strasbourg I don't know what to do! We are getting out of Paris because the teen girls are more interested in countryside than city so we won't stay in Strasbourg. But do we drive the entire route du vin, or do we choose one village to spend two nights, and explore it? Can we rent bikes in a village, and if so, where we would ride to? Isn't the terrain quite hilly? Can we walk or ride to the next village? How many villages should we realistically and enjoyably visit? If we drive the route du vin towards Colmar, do we do the same route back to Strasbourg, or something else?
Can you recommend an itinerary for two nights in Alsace? Lastly, is there an alternative to Alsace that you would recommend? Our desire is to see more "country" than city, and our limitations are predominately ones of time.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 2 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 3 Salzburg itinerary review
- 4 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 5 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 6 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 7 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 8 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 9 Milan and Lake Como
- 10 weekend from cologne germany
- 11 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 12 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 13 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 14 Switzerland in September
- 15 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 16 Where to eat in Rome?
- 17 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 18 de Roma A Como en 6 días
- 19 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 21 Positano or Sorrento?
- 22 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 23 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 24 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 25 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
Whirlwind Alsace -- two nights and two teenagers; what would you do?