I have read the past Alsace discussions, and have found them quite useful. However, I am still at quite a loss with how to spend MY time in Alsace.
I will be travelling with two 15 year old girls. We will be in France for a week. We thought to spend the first four days (Monday -- Thursday nights) in Paris. '
On Friday I was planning to take the TGV to Strasbourg (arriving mid-day) returning via TGV to DG Airport on Sunday night -- so two nights in Alsace. (We fly out of DG on Monday morning, and plan to stay at the DG Sheraton on Sunday night.) We were planning to rent a car in Strasbourg. The time of year is early April (yes, THIS early April!)
So I sound all organized and all, but once we're in Strasbourg I don't know what to do! We are getting out of Paris because the teen girls are more interested in countryside than city so we won't stay in Strasbourg. But do we drive the entire route du vin, or do we choose one village to spend two nights, and explore it? Can we rent bikes in a village, and if so, where we would ride to? Isn't the terrain quite hilly? Can we walk or ride to the next village? How many villages should we realistically and enjoyably visit? If we drive the route du vin towards Colmar, do we do the same route back to Strasbourg, or something else?
Can you recommend an itinerary for two nights in Alsace? Lastly, is there an alternative to Alsace that you would recommend? Our desire is to see more "country" than city, and our limitations are predominately ones of time.
Thanks in advance!
Whirlwind Alsace -- two nights and two teenagers; what would you do?
- 1 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 2 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 3 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 4 To Paris and Provence in June
- 5 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 6 London for Christmas
- 7 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 8 Advises for trip to Russia
- 9 Family European winter holiday
- 10 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 11 lockers in London's Victoria Station
- 12 6 hours in London; lockers at Heathrow
- 13 Luggage lockers at London train station?
- 14 London - Luggage Couriers from Heathrow?
- 15 Travel by train or bus
- 16 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 17 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 18 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 19 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 20 Euro Train
- 21 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 22 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 23 Need help with picking a place to stay between Paris and Bari
- 24 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 25 Tire, Turkey - Tuesday Market