I have read the past Alsace discussions, and have found them quite useful. However, I am still at quite a loss with how to spend MY time in Alsace.
I will be travelling with two 15 year old girls. We will be in France for a week. We thought to spend the first four days (Monday -- Thursday nights) in Paris. '
On Friday I was planning to take the TGV to Strasbourg (arriving mid-day) returning via TGV to DG Airport on Sunday night -- so two nights in Alsace. (We fly out of DG on Monday morning, and plan to stay at the DG Sheraton on Sunday night.) We were planning to rent a car in Strasbourg. The time of year is early April (yes, THIS early April!)
So I sound all organized and all, but once we're in Strasbourg I don't know what to do! We are getting out of Paris because the teen girls are more interested in countryside than city so we won't stay in Strasbourg. But do we drive the entire route du vin, or do we choose one village to spend two nights, and explore it? Can we rent bikes in a village, and if so, where we would ride to? Isn't the terrain quite hilly? Can we walk or ride to the next village? How many villages should we realistically and enjoyably visit? If we drive the route du vin towards Colmar, do we do the same route back to Strasbourg, or something else?
Can you recommend an itinerary for two nights in Alsace? Lastly, is there an alternative to Alsace that you would recommend? Our desire is to see more "country" than city, and our limitations are predominately ones of time.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Under Seige...
- 2 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 3 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 4 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 5 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 6 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 7 Brief trip report Naples
- 8 Advices about our itiniary
- 9 Staying in Ventimiglia vs France
- 10 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 11 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 12 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 13 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 14 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 15 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 16 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 17 Coach with driver rental, Puglia Italy
- 18 Private transportation
- 19 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 20 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 21 Sicily--Three Weeks in October--Winging It is Doable
- 22 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 23 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 24 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 25 Global Travel Warning...
Whirlwind Alsace -- two nights and two teenagers; what would you do?