I have read the past Alsace discussions, and have found them quite useful. However, I am still at quite a loss with how to spend MY time in Alsace.
I will be travelling with two 15 year old girls. We will be in France for a week. We thought to spend the first four days (Monday -- Thursday nights) in Paris. '
On Friday I was planning to take the TGV to Strasbourg (arriving mid-day) returning via TGV to DG Airport on Sunday night -- so two nights in Alsace. (We fly out of DG on Monday morning, and plan to stay at the DG Sheraton on Sunday night.) We were planning to rent a car in Strasbourg. The time of year is early April (yes, THIS early April!)
So I sound all organized and all, but once we're in Strasbourg I don't know what to do! We are getting out of Paris because the teen girls are more interested in countryside than city so we won't stay in Strasbourg. But do we drive the entire route du vin, or do we choose one village to spend two nights, and explore it? Can we rent bikes in a village, and if so, where we would ride to? Isn't the terrain quite hilly? Can we walk or ride to the next village? How many villages should we realistically and enjoyably visit? If we drive the route du vin towards Colmar, do we do the same route back to Strasbourg, or something else?
Can you recommend an itinerary for two nights in Alsace? Lastly, is there an alternative to Alsace that you would recommend? Our desire is to see more "country" than city, and our limitations are predominately ones of time.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 2 3 days to spend in europe
- 3 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 4 RFID Protection
- 5 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 6 Travel WiFi - France
- 7 Spain Trip Report
- 8 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 9 Berlin restaurant recs
- 10 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 11 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 12 20 free days of Europe
- 13 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 14 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 15 Limo from Heathrow
- 16 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 17 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 18 Iceland Trip report
- 19 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 20 What's the Best way to go to çekirge bursa
- 21 Seville in late January
- 22 Gelato course in Rome?
- 23 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 24 Frankfurt Airport Rail Connection
- 25 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
Whirlwind Alsace -- two nights and two teenagers; what would you do?