My best friend and I are planning to travel in mid-November for about two weeks. We want to do a mix of sightseeing and experiencing of the culture. We are ambitious travelers, but want to be frugal as much as possible. We will be traveling from Ohio in the United States and are in our late twenties.
We are open to any locations within the United Kingdom (and Dublin area) and would love to hear some ideas from traveler as to locations to visit - both cities and attractions, hotels, modes of transportation.
We are definitely more inclined to see lots of things, check lots of things off the list so-to-speak, and more city over countryside folks...though we certainly want to do Bath, see the Cotswolds, etc. We would love to see a castle or two, but don't feel the need to see all of the beautiful ones we might have access to (we were thinking Warwick?). Historic houses? Yes, one or two. We like to mix it up, without overdoing it on all one kind of thing. We definitely want to see a play at some point. We like museums (especially art and history).
I returned in January from two weeks in Italy and did a lot of posting up in one place for three or four days and doing day trips in between. This is how I also traveled in Spain and found it worked for us quite well. I know nothing about the rail in the United Kingdom (or other forms of travel) and it simply might not be possible. Any advice on this is very appreciated.
We are in the very beginning stages of exploring this option (we had previously been planning for Greece, but have decided to move that trip to a warmer time of year).
An extremely ambitious itinerary (that could use some editing and experienced guidance) is below...
November 10: Travel from OHIO to DUBLIN (overnight flight)
November 11: DUBLIN, sleep DUBLIN
November 12: DUBLIN
November 13: Travel LONDON, sleep LONDON
November 14: LONDON
November 15: LONDON
November 16: Travel STONEHENGE and BATH, sleep LONDON
November 17: Travel STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK
November 18: Travel COTSWOLDS, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK
November 19: Travel MANCHESTER, sleep MANCHESTER
November 20: MANCHESTER
November 21: Travel YORK, sleep YORK
November 22: YORK
November 23: Travel EDINBURGH, sleep EDINBURGH
November 24: EDINBURGH
November 25: Travel GLASGOW, sleep EDINBURGH
November 26: Travel UNITED STATES
We realize we are really trying to do a lot in a short period of time. I'm wondering if cutting out Manchester and/or York (because of the travel time) would be wise. If we did this, do you think we could fit in Oxford and/or Cardiff? Or perhaps it would give us more time to see Bath (if you think that's wise)? Or maybe you have a completely different suggestion for a day trip? We had also thought about perhaps renting a cottage in the Cotswolds for a few days and doing trips out of there? Though we'd rather not rent a car.
Again - infinite thank you's.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 2 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 3 May get together in Paris
- 4 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 5 Fun in the countryside and Tallinn
- 6 Train tickets in Italy?
- 7 credit and debit cards
- 8 Train from Charles de Gaulle
- 9 17 day roadtrip through UK: Need suggestions
- 10 Train(s) from Lucerne to Barcelona?
- 11 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 12 Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 13 Transportation
- 14 Scandinavia itinerary (with St. Petersburg) review please
- 15 Musée Erasme Anderlecht, Belgium
- 16 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 17 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 18 travel around Spain
- 19 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 20 Prague, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest Help
- 21 South Downs National Park, United Kingdom
- 22 Corsica
- 23 Help with itinerary: Lisbon and Porto
- 24 Best Car Rental - Dublin Drop of Shannon
- 25 One day in Lille, France