My best friend and I are planning to travel in mid-November for about two weeks. We want to do a mix of sightseeing and experiencing of the culture. We are ambitious travelers, but want to be frugal as much as possible. We will be traveling from Ohio in the United States and are in our late twenties.
We are open to any locations within the United Kingdom (and Dublin area) and would love to hear some ideas from traveler as to locations to visit - both cities and attractions, hotels, modes of transportation.
We are definitely more inclined to see lots of things, check lots of things off the list so-to-speak, and more city over countryside folks...though we certainly want to do Bath, see the Cotswolds, etc. We would love to see a castle or two, but don't feel the need to see all of the beautiful ones we might have access to (we were thinking Warwick?). Historic houses? Yes, one or two. We like to mix it up, without overdoing it on all one kind of thing. We definitely want to see a play at some point. We like museums (especially art and history).
I returned in January from two weeks in Italy and did a lot of posting up in one place for three or four days and doing day trips in between. This is how I also traveled in Spain and found it worked for us quite well. I know nothing about the rail in the United Kingdom (or other forms of travel) and it simply might not be possible. Any advice on this is very appreciated.
We are in the very beginning stages of exploring this option (we had previously been planning for Greece, but have decided to move that trip to a warmer time of year).
An extremely ambitious itinerary (that could use some editing and experienced guidance) is below...
November 10: Travel from OHIO to DUBLIN (overnight flight)
November 11: DUBLIN, sleep DUBLIN
November 12: DUBLIN
November 13: Travel LONDON, sleep LONDON
November 14: LONDON
November 15: LONDON
November 16: Travel STONEHENGE and BATH, sleep LONDON
November 17: Travel STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK
November 18: Travel COTSWOLDS, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK
November 19: Travel MANCHESTER, sleep MANCHESTER
November 20: MANCHESTER
November 21: Travel YORK, sleep YORK
November 22: YORK
November 23: Travel EDINBURGH, sleep EDINBURGH
November 24: EDINBURGH
November 25: Travel GLASGOW, sleep EDINBURGH
November 26: Travel UNITED STATES
We realize we are really trying to do a lot in a short period of time. I'm wondering if cutting out Manchester and/or York (because of the travel time) would be wise. If we did this, do you think we could fit in Oxford and/or Cardiff? Or perhaps it would give us more time to see Bath (if you think that's wise)? Or maybe you have a completely different suggestion for a day trip? We had also thought about perhaps renting a cottage in the Cotswolds for a few days and doing trips out of there? Though we'd rather not rent a car.
Again - infinite thank you's.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 2 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 3 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 4 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 5 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 6 driving from ancona to rome
- 7 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 8 Croatia transportation question.
- 9 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 10 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 11 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 12 Itinerary Help - Roadtrip North of Barcelona
- 13 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 14 Traveling to Croatia w/ infant - tips?
- 15 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 16 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 17 2017 Easter in Italy
- 18 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 19 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 20 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 21 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 22 Help with Ireland Itinerary
- 23 What is best for gps & data for trip to spain and portugal?
- 24 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 25 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia