Search

UK + Dublin - Two Week Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK + Dublin - Two Week Itinerary Advice

Hello!

My best friend and I are planning to travel in mid-November for about two weeks. We want to do a mix of sightseeing and experiencing of the culture. We are ambitious travelers, but want to be frugal as much as possible. We will be traveling from Ohio in the United States and are in our late twenties.

We are open to any locations within the United Kingdom (and Dublin area) and would love to hear some ideas from traveler as to locations to visit - both cities and attractions, hotels, modes of transportation.

We are definitely more inclined to see lots of things, check lots of things off the list so-to-speak, and more city over countryside folks...though we certainly want to do Bath, see the Cotswolds, etc. We would love to see a castle or two, but don't feel the need to see all of the beautiful ones we might have access to (we were thinking Warwick?). Historic houses? Yes, one or two. We like to mix it up, without overdoing it on all one kind of thing. We definitely want to see a play at some point. We like museums (especially art and history).

I returned in January from two weeks in Italy and did a lot of posting up in one place for three or four days and doing day trips in between. This is how I also traveled in Spain and found it worked for us quite well. I know nothing about the rail in the United Kingdom (or other forms of travel) and it simply might not be possible. Any advice on this is very appreciated.

We are in the very beginning stages of exploring this option (we had previously been planning for Greece, but have decided to move that trip to a warmer time of year).

An extremely ambitious itinerary (that could use some editing and experienced guidance) is below...

November 10: Travel from OHIO to DUBLIN (overnight flight)

November 11: DUBLIN, sleep DUBLIN

November 12: DUBLIN

November 13: Travel LONDON, sleep LONDON

November 14: LONDON

November 15: LONDON

November 16: Travel STONEHENGE and BATH, sleep LONDON

November 17: Travel STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK

November 18: Travel COTSWOLDS, sleep STRATFORD/WARWICK

November 19: Travel MANCHESTER, sleep MANCHESTER

November 20: MANCHESTER

November 21: Travel YORK, sleep YORK

November 22: YORK

November 23: Travel EDINBURGH, sleep EDINBURGH

November 24: EDINBURGH

November 25: Travel GLASGOW, sleep EDINBURGH

November 26: Travel UNITED STATES

We realize we are really trying to do a lot in a short period of time. I'm wondering if cutting out Manchester and/or York (because of the travel time) would be wise. If we did this, do you think we could fit in Oxford and/or Cardiff? Or perhaps it would give us more time to see Bath (if you think that's wise)? Or maybe you have a completely different suggestion for a day trip? We had also thought about perhaps renting a cottage in the Cotswolds for a few days and doing trips out of there? Though we'd rather not rent a car.

Again - infinite thank you's.

Natalie
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:54 PM

IMHO too much given that in November the weather and countryside will not be at their best - and days will be short (you are far north of Italy) and probably chilly and rainy.

I think you are doing too much bouncing too and fro Londn (look at a map) once you leave you are probably better staying where you are than spending another 2 or 3 hours to trek back to London. (London day trips to Greenwich, Windsor and Hampton Court make sense. A day trip to Bath and Stonhenge makes sense only if you will be spending more days in London. When you are going on to other places outside London - why spend hours going back there and then out again the next morning?)
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

November 13: DUBLIN

November 14: Travel LONDON, sleep LONDON

November 16: Travel OXFORD, sleep LONDON

November 17: LONDON

November 18: Travel STONEHENGE/BATH, sleep BATH

November 19: Travel COTSWOLDS, sleep BATH

November 20: Travel STRATFORD-UPON-AVON/WARWICK, sleep STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

November 23: Travel EDINBURGH, sleep EDINBURGH

November 24: Travel GLASGOW, sleep EDINBURGH

November 25: EDINBURGH

November 26: Travel UNITED STATES

Above is a newly adjusted (and certainly very imperfect) itinerary with a few questions...

1. Has anyone taken or does anyone know anything of the Mad Max tour of the Cotswolds that leaves out of Bath? If not recommended, at what point in this trip should we consider renting a car and when to get rid of it?
2. If trying to see Warwick Castle and Stratford-Upon-Avon, can this be achieved in one day? Or would you recommend one day less in Dublin or cutting the Oxford trip for two nights in Stratford-Upon-Avon?
3. Would we be better posed to post up in London and spread out day trips to many of these locations? I've seen lots of tours from London that hit many of these places in one day. We're not really guided tour folks, but I wonder if that means I am overestimating travel times or the amount of time needed to see some of these places. Though, if you do know of any good guided tours, please do share if you think they are worthwhile.

Your patience and guidance as always is appreciated. I'm so glad to be planning so far in advance, and yet it makes me ask infinite more questions than on my last excursion!

Natalie
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
ron

1. There are currently 273 reviews of the Mad Max tours on Tripadvisor, 229 rate them excellent and 33 very good.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...t_England.html

2. Given that you are happy with superficial visits, these 2 could well be done in one day. They are close together and there is frequent bus service and less frequent train service between them. Reasonable train service from London.

3. Most guided tours from London spend too much time on the coach and not enough time at the sights. The advantage of staying in London is the time of year you travelling. Summer rains in England are pleasant; those in November and later not so much. Being in London, where there are lots of "out of the weather" attractions, is an advantage. But think of doing your own day tours by train rather than going on guided tours.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
#1: Mad Max is excellent. If one must take a tour I only ever recommend them (and Rabbies or Timberbush out of Edinburgh)

#2: Very easy to do both in one day --even IF one isn't into superficial . . . They are only about 6 miles apart. Hit Warwick first and stay through lunch time. Then in the afternoon head over to Stratford. No need for 2 nights (or one even)

#3: ditto what ron said . . .
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, very helpful info.

Janisj, as for #2, do you mean that it's not important to stay in Stratford-Upon-Avon? It seemed like it would make sense to stay there as York is next on our journey. Would it be better to do this out of London?

A friend also suggested we hit Oxford and stow our luggage on the way to Stratford-Upon-Avon. The new itinerary below reflects that idea... Thoughts?

November 13: Travel LONDON, sleep LONDON

November 14: LONDON

November 16: LONDON

November 17: Travel STONEHENGE/BATH, sleep BATH

November 18: Travel COTSWOLDS, sleep BATH

November 19: Travel OXFORD, sleep STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

November 20: Travel WARWICK, sleep STRATFORD-UPON-AVON