My spouse and I will be spending 4 days/3 nights in Tyrol in the beginning of June, coming from Salzburg via train. We will not have a car.
We are trying to find somewhere quiet to base out of that provides easy access to Innsbruck for when we leave. Our goals for this portion of our trip are to relax and enjoy the scenery. We are moderate hikers, meaning we're in our 30s, will wear good shoes, but don't hike with equipment, and prefer 1/2 day hikes over full day hikes.
I've been scouring the many, many Austrian websites for a good base, but it seems like everywhere is a good base, so I'm having issues narrowing down to one location. Oztal and Zillertal are both mentioned as good hiking areas, but we don't want to end up in a giant resort. We would love a quiet town with a small store for obtaining food and a bit of wine or beer.
We would like to spend all three nights in the same place if possible. Can anyone point me in a general direction? Was there a particular village that stole your heart? Has anyone stayed at a pension or farm that was wonderful? Any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Too Much Cows"
- 2 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 3 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 4 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 5 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 6 Thinking about the Fjords
- 7 Athens Help
- 8 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 9 Rome to Venice
- 10 Alitala
- 11 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 12 Bordeaux to Nice
- 13 Whathello Paris
- 14 Trains in Italy
- 15 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 16 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 17 One free day in Barcelona
- 18 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 19 Multiplug, Surge Protector needed?
- 20 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 21 Aix-en-Provence for a day
- 22 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 23 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 24 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 25 Possible French strike on 9/21