My spouse and I will be spending 4 days/3 nights in Tyrol in the beginning of June, coming from Salzburg via train. We will not have a car.
We are trying to find somewhere quiet to base out of that provides easy access to Innsbruck for when we leave. Our goals for this portion of our trip are to relax and enjoy the scenery. We are moderate hikers, meaning we're in our 30s, will wear good shoes, but don't hike with equipment, and prefer 1/2 day hikes over full day hikes.
I've been scouring the many, many Austrian websites for a good base, but it seems like everywhere is a good base, so I'm having issues narrowing down to one location. Oztal and Zillertal are both mentioned as good hiking areas, but we don't want to end up in a giant resort. We would love a quiet town with a small store for obtaining food and a bit of wine or beer.
We would like to spend all three nights in the same place if possible. Can anyone point me in a general direction? Was there a particular village that stole your heart? Has anyone stayed at a pension or farm that was wonderful? Any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 2 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 3 3 nights in Madrid
- 4 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 5 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 6 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 7 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 8 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 9 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 10 Threat Level in UK
- 11 Cartagena Spain
- 12 Itinery help Crete
- 13 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 14 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 15 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 16 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 17 S. Kensington London Restaurants
- 18 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 19 Graz in January
- 20 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 21 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 22 London Hotel - Different Request
- 23 Iceland trip report!
- 24 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 25 Sun loungers and parasols