My spouse and I will be spending 4 days/3 nights in Tyrol in the beginning of June, coming from Salzburg via train. We will not have a car.
We are trying to find somewhere quiet to base out of that provides easy access to Innsbruck for when we leave. Our goals for this portion of our trip are to relax and enjoy the scenery. We are moderate hikers, meaning we're in our 30s, will wear good shoes, but don't hike with equipment, and prefer 1/2 day hikes over full day hikes.
I've been scouring the many, many Austrian websites for a good base, but it seems like everywhere is a good base, so I'm having issues narrowing down to one location. Oztal and Zillertal are both mentioned as good hiking areas, but we don't want to end up in a giant resort. We would love a quiet town with a small store for obtaining food and a bit of wine or beer.
We would like to spend all three nights in the same place if possible. Can anyone point me in a general direction? Was there a particular village that stole your heart? Has anyone stayed at a pension or farm that was wonderful? Any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 2 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 3 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 4 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 5 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 6 Sicily
- 7 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 8 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 9 car for four adults and four bikes
- 10 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 11 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 12 If you had to choose one......
- 13 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 14 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 15 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 16 Northern Spain Hotel Suggestion
- 17 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 18 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 19 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 20 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 21 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 22 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 23 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 24 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 25 Super Cover For Hertz