I'll be going to Germany and Switzerland later this year and have been debating the cost benefits of purchasing a rail pass vs. individual tickets for trips. We are planning to do several excursions in Munich and the Interlaken regions, as well as using trains to travel from Germany to Switzerland. I automatically assumed a rail pass (German-Swiss Eurail) would be our best bet from a cost standpoint, but now I'm not so sure.
What do you think would be the best way to travel?
We are taking an overnight train from Amsterdam to Munich, and will be spending time walking through the downtown areas, going to Oktoberfest, etc. which will not require trains. However we do want to take day trips to places like Dachau or Neuwachstein Castle - I assume by train but if there are better ways I'd love to hear about them! We will be in Munich a total of 4 days.
After Munich we would love to travel Switzerland primarily by train - our main reason for going is to see the beautiful scenery so that seems to be the best way to enjoy it. I would like to stay in Lucerne as our "base" and again, take day trips to Mt. Pilatus and other scenic excursions. We will then make our way to Zurich to fly out. We will be in Switzerland 4-5 days.
All told, I was thinking to get 10-day German-Swiss Eurail Passes for myself and spouse, which is totalling about $830. Should I continue with that plan or is it worth it to do more research about individual train tickets?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 We're here!
- 2 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 3 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 4 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 5 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 6 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 7 Another tipping question: concierges
- 8 6-7 Days in France
- 9 International Flight Question
- 10 5 Days in Switzerland
- 11 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 12 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 13 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 14 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 15 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 16 Bremerhaven and environs
- 17 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 18 Trip Report Part 2 - Paris, France May 2016
- 19 Spain in July
- 20 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 21 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 22 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 23 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 24 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 25 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help