I'll be going to Germany and Switzerland later this year and have been debating the cost benefits of purchasing a rail pass vs. individual tickets for trips. We are planning to do several excursions in Munich and the Interlaken regions, as well as using trains to travel from Germany to Switzerland. I automatically assumed a rail pass (German-Swiss Eurail) would be our best bet from a cost standpoint, but now I'm not so sure.
What do you think would be the best way to travel?
We are taking an overnight train from Amsterdam to Munich, and will be spending time walking through the downtown areas, going to Oktoberfest, etc. which will not require trains. However we do want to take day trips to places like Dachau or Neuwachstein Castle - I assume by train but if there are better ways I'd love to hear about them! We will be in Munich a total of 4 days.
After Munich we would love to travel Switzerland primarily by train - our main reason for going is to see the beautiful scenery so that seems to be the best way to enjoy it. I would like to stay in Lucerne as our "base" and again, take day trips to Mt. Pilatus and other scenic excursions. We will then make our way to Zurich to fly out. We will be in Switzerland 4-5 days.
All told, I was thinking to get 10-day German-Swiss Eurail Passes for myself and spouse, which is totalling about $830. Should I continue with that plan or is it worth it to do more research about individual train tickets?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 2 Azores
- 3 Short Trip in July
- 4 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 5 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 6 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 7 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 8 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Scotland in 7 Days
- 11 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 12 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 13 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 14 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 15 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 16 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 17 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report
- 18 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 19 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 20 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 21 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 22 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 23 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 24 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 25 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report