Notices

20 hours train to plane in Munich

Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 hours train to plane in Munich

Next February, we will be arriving in Munich by Eurail at 16:00, after 2 weeks skiing in Skiwelt Austria, Zermatt, and St Moritz. I'd like to find a convenient, moderate price hotel to drop off our luggage, get into the center of Munich for dinner, and back to the hotel for a restful night before our international flight at noon the next day. I understand our Eurail pass works for the S Bahn. I see there is a hotel at the airport for about $200, hotels shuttle distance for $150, and some hotels near the S Bahn route midway city-airport. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Not answering your Q but have you considered only a Swiss Pass and eschew the Eurailpass and pay point to point in Germany and Austria, relatively little of your total rail travel plans?

a Swiss Pass has many many more benefits in Switzerland than does a Eurailpass - like 100% valid to and from Zermatt whereas a Eurailpass is not - i think it gives 25% off but not even sure of that. And once in Switzerland with a pass for things not covered like aerial cableways and the Gornergrat Railway up to near the Matterhorn Swiss Pass would give 50% off, Eurail i think zilch (maybe 25% off Brig/Visp to Zermatt but nothing i think after you are there.) For lots on Swiss trains and passes, etc. check out these info-laden sites: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com.id3.html; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Interresting, I did a quick check and found both options to cost about $1200, including Glacial Express, all first class seats. With Eurail, I've got an extra travel day available if we take a midweek break and travel from Skiwelt to Salsburg for a day.
Thanks for the thought!
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 03:15 AM
J62

It's a direct train from Munich Hbf to Munich airport on the S-bahn, about a 35min ride, and trains every 10-15min all day. The train takes you right to the airport.

Don't bother with a hotel near the airport or 1/2 way between. Stay right in Munich. There are plenty of hotels right in Munich near the main train station (hbf).
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Every one is different but I like the small, attractive town of Freising for my last night before flying out of the Munich Airport. We have stayed at the Hotel (Gasthof) zur Gred:

http://www.freising.de/

http://www.hotelzurgred.de/

There is a public shuttle bus from the train station to the airport that runs every 20 minutes at less than 3 euros per person. There are plenty of restaurants in Freising, including zur Gred. You can reach Freising from Munich by Sbahn or Regional Train.

Regards, Gary
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM

dengan - those figures do surprise me - and i have not done the math but would be curious as to your comparisons.

Cheers
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Stay in a hotel in the center of München and take the S-Bahn to the airport next morning. The connection will be faster than from a suburban town in the middle.

For hotel search, use www.hrs.de