My husband and I are in our late twenties and we are finally planning the big Europe trip we never got to do when we were younger (work and life got in the way!).
I'm looking to you seasoned experts for advice!
We we will be backpacking (or "flash packing" as they say) and traveling primarily by train. We are looking to stay in hostels and travel on a budget so we can splurge occasionally on food, wine and once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
Early August until late October (close to 3 months)
What we're looking for:
We really want a balance of beach, culture, art/history and food & fine, as well as natural beauty of course. Also, we still like to party every now and then But not as much as recent grads, I'm sure!
We are open to almost anything as long as it is safe and reasonably priced... But generally we are not fans of huge crowds and tourist traps.
NOTHING is set in stone yet so we are very flexible... But things that are high on our to-do list include:
- hiking in the Alps
- Bavarian towns
- Eastern Europe
- Medieval towns / castles / chateaus
- French Riviera
- Lyon or anywhere with good French food
- Tuscany (wine and olives)
- Southern Italy or any place with awesome beaches
- Norway / Fjords sound amazing but might be out of the way
Note: we have already been to Paris, Athens (and Crete and Corfu, Greece), Ireland and Scotland, so those spots are covered for now. Also we figure since we have seen UK then we'd be ok to skip England this time, and maybe do it another year...that is, if it is out of the way.
I am trying to put together an itinerary, with some flexibility of course, but also enough structure to ensure we don't miss out or key experiences.
Any advice as to what cities to visit, how to get from one place to another, how long to stay in each place, etc would be so greatly appreciated!
Of all the places on my list the area I'm having most trouble finding information on is Switzerland & the Alps. We are not rich ...we are hoping we can enjoy some hiking and natural beauty without paying a fortune or having to rely on tours.
Many thanks in advance, my fellow travelers and day-dreamers!
Three-Month Europe Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 2 6 weeks Spain Itinerary
- 3 Help finding private transfer from Monte Gordo, Portugal to Seville, Spain
- 4 dining in Brussels
- 5 Como or Bellagio hotel needed
- 6 Gifts from the States for European Hosts
- 7 How to schedule train connection from Frankfurt Airport
- 8 5 days in Bremen for a conference
- 9 using airbnb for the first time...
- 10 Madrid: City Views
- 11 My Turkey Trip Had Ups and Downs
- 12 plug adapters ITALY
- 13 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 14 London before and after a cruise leaving from Southampton
- 15 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 16 How to make this adventure work?
- 17 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 18 How much luggage?????
- 19 Iwan2go went to the Dordogne
- 20 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 21 Appropriate attire for Provence
- 22 A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...
- 23 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 24 17 days in Europe: a family vacation
- 25 Vienna State Opera Tickets