My husband and I are in our late twenties and we are finally planning the big Europe trip we never got to do when we were younger (work and life got in the way!).
I'm looking to you seasoned experts for advice!
We we will be backpacking (or "flash packing" as they say) and traveling primarily by train. We are looking to stay in hostels and travel on a budget so we can splurge occasionally on food, wine and once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
Early August until late October (close to 3 months)
What we're looking for:
We really want a balance of beach, culture, art/history and food & fine, as well as natural beauty of course. Also, we still like to party every now and then But not as much as recent grads, I'm sure!
We are open to almost anything as long as it is safe and reasonably priced... But generally we are not fans of huge crowds and tourist traps.
NOTHING is set in stone yet so we are very flexible... But things that are high on our to-do list include:
- hiking in the Alps
- Bavarian towns
- Eastern Europe
- Medieval towns / castles / chateaus
- French Riviera
- Lyon or anywhere with good French food
- Tuscany (wine and olives)
- Southern Italy or any place with awesome beaches
- Norway / Fjords sound amazing but might be out of the way
Note: we have already been to Paris, Athens (and Crete and Corfu, Greece), Ireland and Scotland, so those spots are covered for now. Also we figure since we have seen UK then we'd be ok to skip England this time, and maybe do it another year...that is, if it is out of the way.
I am trying to put together an itinerary, with some flexibility of course, but also enough structure to ensure we don't miss out or key experiences.
Any advice as to what cities to visit, how to get from one place to another, how long to stay in each place, etc would be so greatly appreciated!
Of all the places on my list the area I'm having most trouble finding information on is Switzerland & the Alps. We are not rich ...we are hoping we can enjoy some hiking and natural beauty without paying a fortune or having to rely on tours.
Many thanks in advance, my fellow travelers and day-dreamers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 2 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 3 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 4 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 5 Rouen Tour Companies
- 6 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 7 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 8 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 9 CDG much improved
- 10 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 11 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 12 Ronda Wine/biking
- 13 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 14 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 15 Italy bus or train
- 16 Ireland itinerary help please
- 17 May get together in Paris
- 18 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 19 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 20 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 21 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 22 Canal du Midi
- 23 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 24 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 25 Perugia