Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should a group of 18 year olds go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next summer (May, June, July: flexible on time) I want to go out of the country with a group of my friends for a week or two. I'm not exactly sure where I would want to go because I've never been out of the country before. Places that interest me are Spain, Greece, Norway, France, Italy, Brazil, and others. I want a fun vacation where I can stroll around old cities, but be safe in a group. I want there to be good nightlife and food, and it can't be too expensive. My top priorities are price, safety, and nightlife. I would probably want to stay at a b and b or rent an apartment with my friends. I'm just not sure what places would be fun for young people (18,19), and I want to plan the best vacation I can!
Some other things:
- I don't really like tours and stuff, so I wouldn't book them. I like going out on my own and exploring.
-My friends and I really enjoy art and different cultures

Also it would be great if you could share your experiences traveling at my age or just where your favorite places to travel are! Thanks.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Well, assuming you are from the US all of those places are safer, excepting Brazil - which has some major ssues.

You wold also want to avoid Norway - which is incredibly expensive (think twice the cost of US and up for everything, from a bed in a hostel to a fast food meal at $20 and on). Nightlife prices would probably make you faint.

There are a lot of options in the other countries you name - but based on what I have seen (and I'm old enough to be your parents but our 19 year old DD went 2 years ago) are places like Berlin and Prague - which have fairy low prices and a big youth and music scene and lot of nightlife.

My experience of travel at that age (I was 19 and boyfriebd was 23) was a road trip in a tiny VW bug through 5 countries in 6 weeks, staying in gasthauses, pensions and modest hotels and visiting a variety of larger cities (Paris, Barcelona, Munich) and smaller towns/countryside (Garmisch in southern Bavaria, Innsbruck in austria and a couple of towns on the French Riviera).

Be aware that to rent an apartment there may well be a limit on the number of people and you will have to front most of the money in advance.

I suggest that you start researching student budget travel in the Let's Go student guides and the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely PLanet web site - to get an idea of costs and build a zero base budget. (Our DD spent $8K plus airfare in almost 6 weeks traveling modestly with limited student level/budget night life and zero shopping.)
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM

All major cities in Europe will have nightlife and all will be safer than American cities. Of the countries on your list Spain (except Barcelona) and Greece will be inexpensive. Norway and France are expensive (Norway more expensive than France). Have you considered Prague? There are masses of young people hanging around the main square and something must be attracting them to Prague.

Prague is a beautiful small city and the food is good if you like Germanic type food. You can find inexpensive accommodations.

Traveling was very different when I was your age. Rail passes were good bargains and the US Dollar was very strong. You could easily fly standby and the internet wasn't even a dream in someone's mind. You could easily show up anywhere and get an inexpensive room. It was a more adventurous time to travel where you learned the answers as you traveled rather than having them given to you ahead of time.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 06:23 PM

By July the Greek island of Ios becomes an international mecca for 20-something backpackers. It's not expensive there and the nightlife will be intense.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 02:55 AM

>>>My top priorities are price, safety, and nightlife.<<<

Then consider Berlin. It can easily be combined with Prague.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 03:11 AM

Ayia Napa, Cyprus is probably one of the most famous spots for nightlife during the summer. "Intense" doesn't even get close to describing the nightlife!

http://www.loveayianapa.com/night-life.html

Lots of apartments available for rent, if you want old cities to stroll around, there are plenty.

Other places are Ibiza and Faliraki, Rhodes.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM

As a 17 year old Greek, who have travelled most of Europe, I say there is simply not such a place like the Greek islands, -especially for young people-. Greece has the greatest nightlife in the world, and I don't say it because I am Greek, it's the truth. For example, the normal dining time in Greece is 10:00, when in the rest of Europe the restaurants -close- at that time, when in Greece the think has just started. In Greece, the streets are full of people until 6:00 in the morning, which is the normal time for us young people returning home from clubs. It's something we are born with, and tourists can see that.

When we finish high school, we go with our friend group to a Greek island, it's a classic. Cheap hotels, amazing beaches, amazing nightlife, full of young people, in Ios island for example you won't find any people over 25 year old. The Greek islands are EXACTLY what you search for, the ultimate destination for young people. The most popular among 18 year olds are: Paros, Ios, Mykonos, as the have the best nightclubs and nightlife. Google them.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 06:37 AM

San Sebastián in Spain has it all. Great food, excellent nightlife, Old town, very safe and some of the finest city beaches on the continent. At least one hundred affordable, usually family owned basic hotel standard hostals with or without private bathroom. I went here every summer from my early twenties, and still go almost every year.
http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/

Video intro that will give you an idea of the fabulous food and nightlife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCt5P74DkcY

I used to stay in Pension Larrea when I visited in my early twenties. http://www.pensionlarrea.com/index.php?id=1044&i=4
Tripadvisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Country.html

Dozens of places like this around the Parte vieja/Old town and central and very walkable San Sebastián.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I will throw in Hossegor as a possibility in France. It is "surf city" and has the whole lifestyle of such a place.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 01:06 AM

I see that the OP mentions only one week or two and also price as a factor but I can not see specific budget and where they'll come from. Those two things could make a real difference, there is no point suggesting a place for a weeks vacation when 2 days might be used to reach it alone and/or if jet lag is an issue.
Assuming OP used flights from wherever they are located, costs of flights might be a very important issue budget-wise too.
Then it is hard to narrow locations down just by safety and nightlife and a not specified budget. Further interests even if not top priority?
Kristinn, why don't you help us help you a bit more? Provide some more specifics and I am sure good people here will have great ideas to suit.