Search

10 days, what to do???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days, what to do???

Hi,
I am a mixed (african american and german) single male that likes city life, music, and culture.
I will be in Germany (Jan. 19th- Feb. 3rd) visiting family for 1 week, after that, I have 10 free days to do whatever.
My debate is whether to stay around Germany and spend quality time there, since I haven't been since the age of 8 (I am
now 30).....OR.......try to visit other countries, being that I don't get the chance to go to Europe often.
I would like to visit some cool cities with great nightlife and friendly people. I like the thought of Amsterdam, Barcelona or Prague. (Keep in mind that my flight back to the U.S. departs from Copenhagen.)
Also, as a black male, should I have any concerns about racial tension in any places suggested on this post????
I've done alot of research on travel sites, and have never been let down in the past, but I still can't figure out what to do on this one. So any help would be greatly appreciated!!! What would you do???????

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Hello brwnsugar,

It would help to know your initial destination in Germany. Depending on where you will be for your first week, Prague and/or Amsterdam might work quite well, and they certainly are wonderful cities.

If your initial visit is not to Berlin, do consider including it. You might be able to pair it with Prague, again depending on what your starting point is.

I imagine you'll want to see something of Copenhagen too before you take off from there. So, with your time constraints in mind, I would insert a maximum of two cities, if that, between my first German destination and Copenhagen.

Tempting as Barcelona may be, I think it's too much of an outlier for you to consider it on this trip.

Dutch, German and Czech people have been friendly towards me when I've visited their countries. But someone who has walked in your moccasins, so to speak, would be better qualified to answer your question about racial tensions in those countries.

In addition to asking Fodorites I would recommend doing something that you very well may have done already and that is to ask your family members in Germany for travel suggestions.

Good luck with your trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:08 PM

I don't believe in not visiting a city of one's choice that's considered by others as "ouliers" when in Europe. There's no such thing as an outlier city in Europe. The cities you mentioned are within 2 hour flights of each other.

As a matter of fact, I would go with Barcelona just to get a different taste from non-northern-European experience. The nightlife is also cool and bustling for a single 30 year old (regardless of race, color or creed).

Enjoy.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
rex

late January/early February - - heading south sounds like a good idea to me, at least for half of those ten days!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I hope to hear more opinions as well.

Judy in Calgary: I will be solely in the Frankfurt area for the first week.

Ezlivin: Are those flights costly or somewhat moderate.

I really do appreciate all your input....it's very helpful!!!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:04 AM

If you are interested in the possibility of using "budget" airlines for flights within Europe, go to www.whichbudget.com and you'll get a list of airlines and routes from various cities.

For example, AirBerlin flies the route Frankfurt (FRA) to Barcelona and you could probably also do it from Berlin.

Berlin to Prague is a five-hour rail journey; Berlin to Amsterdam takes about 5 1/2 hours by rail. To maximize your time and minimize travel time, flying cheaply might be a better option.

In terms of "racial harmony" I am certain you wouldn't find Amsterdam poses any difficulties, much less Berlin.

Anyway, check out the air options before making any final decisions, keeping in mind the baggage weight restrictions that all airlines impose for flights within Europe.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Intrepid1...great information!!!!!
Keep it coming folks!!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:48 AM
rex

topping...