I'm just beginning to plan an 17-is day trip to Italy--kind of late in terms of planning for some, I know, but I recently found out that I've earned an international ticket, so I'm going for it! I wanted to run my itinerary past some travel-seasoned eyes and see what people think.
Fly into Naples, arriving early evening, stay 3 nights (2 full days); ferry to Positano, 3 or 4 nights; ferry/train or bus/train to Florence, 4 nights; train to Rome, 4 nights; train to Venice, 3 nights. Fly home.
Does this seem like too much? I've been to these places before, but not for a number of years, and am happy to be revisiting them and having new/different experiences. I am interested in food and wine, art, history, walking around and just looking at everything, some shopping, and a little beach time. I have visited Pompeii, Ercolano, and Paestum, but that was (gasp) about 20 years ago. Same for Venice. I visited the other locations in 2010, but there is so much I haven't seen or done.
Other details: I don't plan on having a car. I would like to revisit Florence, but also do a couple daytrips (I've been to Pisa and the Cinque Terre...thinking more about some of the other nearby locations). I enjoyed Positano very much, but if anyone has another suggestion for an idyllic location like that, my ears are open.
Thank you for any and all suggestions you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 2 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 6 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 11 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 12 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 13 Italy Car Scam
- 14 God Save the Queen?
- 15 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 17 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 18 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Paris to Italy
- 21 9 Days in Spain
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 24 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 25 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please