I'm just beginning to plan an 17-is day trip to Italy--kind of late in terms of planning for some, I know, but I recently found out that I've earned an international ticket, so I'm going for it! I wanted to run my itinerary past some travel-seasoned eyes and see what people think.
Fly into Naples, arriving early evening, stay 3 nights (2 full days); ferry to Positano, 3 or 4 nights; ferry/train or bus/train to Florence, 4 nights; train to Rome, 4 nights; train to Venice, 3 nights. Fly home.
Does this seem like too much? I've been to these places before, but not for a number of years, and am happy to be revisiting them and having new/different experiences. I am interested in food and wine, art, history, walking around and just looking at everything, some shopping, and a little beach time. I have visited Pompeii, Ercolano, and Paestum, but that was (gasp) about 20 years ago. Same for Venice. I visited the other locations in 2010, but there is so much I haven't seen or done.
Other details: I don't plan on having a car. I would like to revisit Florence, but also do a couple daytrips (I've been to Pisa and the Cinque Terre...thinking more about some of the other nearby locations). I enjoyed Positano very much, but if anyone has another suggestion for an idyllic location like that, my ears are open.
Thank you for any and all suggestions you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 2 Lyon
- 3 Self drive tour companies
- 4 Italian lakes
- 5 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 6 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 7 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 8 What do after Bernia Express?
- 9 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 10 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 11 France, UK and Ireland
- 12 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 13 French theater in Paris
- 14 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 15 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 16 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 17 Germany family road trip help!
- 18 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 19 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 20 Barcelona
- 21 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 22 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 23 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 24 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 25 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!