I'm just beginning to plan an 17-is day trip to Italy--kind of late in terms of planning for some, I know, but I recently found out that I've earned an international ticket, so I'm going for it! I wanted to run my itinerary past some travel-seasoned eyes and see what people think.
Fly into Naples, arriving early evening, stay 3 nights (2 full days); ferry to Positano, 3 or 4 nights; ferry/train or bus/train to Florence, 4 nights; train to Rome, 4 nights; train to Venice, 3 nights. Fly home.
Does this seem like too much? I've been to these places before, but not for a number of years, and am happy to be revisiting them and having new/different experiences. I am interested in food and wine, art, history, walking around and just looking at everything, some shopping, and a little beach time. I have visited Pompeii, Ercolano, and Paestum, but that was (gasp) about 20 years ago. Same for Venice. I visited the other locations in 2010, but there is so much I haven't seen or done.
Other details: I don't plan on having a car. I would like to revisit Florence, but also do a couple daytrips (I've been to Pisa and the Cinque Terre...thinking more about some of the other nearby locations). I enjoyed Positano very much, but if anyone has another suggestion for an idyllic location like that, my ears are open.
Thank you for any and all suggestions you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 retruning to US with souveniers
- 2 Is there a forum just for Paris?
- 3 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 4 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 5 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 6 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 7 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 8 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 9 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 10 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 11 Ireland and Scotland September 2017
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 14 Help on ancient history route
- 15 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 16 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 17 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 18 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 19 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 20 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 23 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 24 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 25 Hotels in Turin