Wife and I will be traveling to Greece in September for the first time. Very excited, not nervous, but as I've been researching, I've had a couple questions about ferry travel. For those in the know, please advise:
I've learned that Seajets is a less reliable company so I want to avoid them. For a ferry from Mykonos to Naxos on a Tuesday, I see 2 desirable morning options: Hellenic (Flying Cat 4) and Blue Star.
Later, on a Thurs, for Naxos to Santorini, I've learned that it is best to go with Blue Star so you can go outside on the deck on island approach. I would like to take the noon-1pm ferry that day.
I am a planner by nature and tend to like to purchase tickets ahead of time. I suppose ferry timetable could change if there are protests/strikes.
My questions include:
For these times/routes, is purchasing 3-4 days ahead of departure enough time for the Myk-Naxos ferry trip (ie. I could purchase when we arrive to Myk)? Can I purchase the Naxos-Sant ticket in Myk at the same time? If not, would purchasing 1 day ahead of time on Naxos be okay or risky (of a sellout) for the weekday trip to Sant?
Given time of year, would you purchase ahead of time? Most reliable site to use? I've looked at a couple but there are discrepancies between some time tables.
Is the Hellenic boat much more bumpy than the Blue Star? Seasickness is an issue.
Is it pretty easy to locate the ferry ticket offices on Myk and Naxos?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I continue to research. Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 2 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 3 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 4 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 5 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 6 An evening in London
- 7 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 8 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 9 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 10 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 11 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 12 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 13 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 14 Trains in Italy
- 15 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 16 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 17 Apartment Montreux area
- 18 Rome or Venice first
- 19 Europe First Timers
- 20 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 21 Safety in Rome
- 22 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 23 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 24 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 25 Chur or St Moritz?