Wife and I will be traveling to Greece in September for the first time. Very excited, not nervous, but as I've been researching, I've had a couple questions about ferry travel. For those in the know, please advise:
I've learned that Seajets is a less reliable company so I want to avoid them. For a ferry from Mykonos to Naxos on a Tuesday, I see 2 desirable morning options: Hellenic (Flying Cat 4) and Blue Star.
Later, on a Thurs, for Naxos to Santorini, I've learned that it is best to go with Blue Star so you can go outside on the deck on island approach. I would like to take the noon-1pm ferry that day.
I am a planner by nature and tend to like to purchase tickets ahead of time. I suppose ferry timetable could change if there are protests/strikes.
My questions include:
For these times/routes, is purchasing 3-4 days ahead of departure enough time for the Myk-Naxos ferry trip (ie. I could purchase when we arrive to Myk)? Can I purchase the Naxos-Sant ticket in Myk at the same time? If not, would purchasing 1 day ahead of time on Naxos be okay or risky (of a sellout) for the weekday trip to Sant?
Given time of year, would you purchase ahead of time? Most reliable site to use? I've looked at a couple but there are discrepancies between some time tables.
Is the Hellenic boat much more bumpy than the Blue Star? Seasickness is an issue.
Is it pretty easy to locate the ferry ticket offices on Myk and Naxos?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I continue to research. Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 2 Trip Report - 19 Days in Portugal
- 3 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car
- 4 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 5 London Restaurants
- 6 Transportation Question Italy
- 7 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 8 Cinqueterre
- 9 Germany deregistration
- 10 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 11 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 12 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 13 One day in Lille, France
- 14 Short trip through Andalusia - help w/ 2 itinerary choices
- 15 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 16 Train from Charles de Gaulle
- 17 Corsica
- 18 CDG to Marais transfer
- 19 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 20 London best location
- 21 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 22 Croatia with trips to Mostar & Bay of Kotar
- 23 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 24 Ger's September 2014 Trip Report to Galicia and Portugal
- 25 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges