I'm surprising my mom with a trip to Italy for her 50th birthday this year. I have been to Italy before, but would love to take her. We only have about a week so it will be a quick trip, but here is the itinerary that I'm thinking. I also should add that we will be going at the end of March, I know it's not ideal in timing, but that's what I have to work with. I would love suggestions on the itinerary for that time of year.
Day 1: Arrive in Rome, explore Spanish steps/Trevi fountain area
Day 2: Rome, Colosseum/Roman Forum
Day 3: Rome, St. Peter's Basilica/Vatican City
Day 4: Early train to Sorrento, explore Sorrento
Day 5: Explore Sorrento or surrounding area (maybe Capri?)
Day 6: Train to Pompeii, explore Pompeii, then train to Naples for early morning flight the next day.
Day 7: Fly out of Naples
The biggest issue I see with this itinerary is that we will have luggage when we arrive in Pompeii. Does anyone know if it's possible to store luggage at the train station in Pompeii? Or is there another option for luggage storage? I'm trying to avoid extra train time for dropping off luggage and the only flight option is out of Naples.
The only things I'm set on are Rome and Pompeii because I did not see Pompeii when I was there last. I am open to suggestions on where to spend the other 2 days; however I was looking for a smallish town with beautiful views, preferably of a rocky hillside town. I would love to bring her to Cinque Terre; however, I don't think that's possible given our time frame.
Thank you for your input!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe for Beginners
- 2 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 3 Short time in Vienna
- 4 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 5 Paris in August
- 6 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 7 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 8 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 9 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 10 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 11 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 12 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 13 Getting around London
- 14 Valencia Spain
- 15 Wine Tasting in France
- 16 Iceland in January/February
- 17 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 18 Favorite Champagne houses in Reims and surrounding area
- 19 The DCC scam is spreading
- 20 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 21 Moldova and Transnistria
- 22 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 23 Places to visit from Zurich
- 24 Loire Valley restaurants
- 25 Rome Water Shortage
7 day Italy itinerary and storing luggage in train station