I'm surprising my mom with a trip to Italy for her 50th birthday this year. I have been to Italy before, but would love to take her. We only have about a week so it will be a quick trip, but here is the itinerary that I'm thinking. I also should add that we will be going at the end of March, I know it's not ideal in timing, but that's what I have to work with. I would love suggestions on the itinerary for that time of year.
Day 1: Arrive in Rome, explore Spanish steps/Trevi fountain area
Day 2: Rome, Colosseum/Roman Forum
Day 3: Rome, St. Peter's Basilica/Vatican City
Day 4: Early train to Sorrento, explore Sorrento
Day 5: Explore Sorrento or surrounding area (maybe Capri?)
Day 6: Train to Pompeii, explore Pompeii, then train to Naples for early morning flight the next day.
Day 7: Fly out of Naples
The biggest issue I see with this itinerary is that we will have luggage when we arrive in Pompeii. Does anyone know if it's possible to store luggage at the train station in Pompeii? Or is there another option for luggage storage? I'm trying to avoid extra train time for dropping off luggage and the only flight option is out of Naples.
The only things I'm set on are Rome and Pompeii because I did not see Pompeii when I was there last. I am open to suggestions on where to spend the other 2 days; however I was looking for a smallish town with beautiful views, preferably of a rocky hillside town. I would love to bring her to Cinque Terre; however, I don't think that's possible given our time frame.
Thank you for your input!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 2 We're here!
- 3 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 4 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 5 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 6 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 7 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 8 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 9 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 10 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 11 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 12 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 13 Escargots in Paris
- 14 Paris: Where to find Steak Tartar and Escargot?
- 15 Acropolis Athens
- 16 Vacation in Great Britain
- 17 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 18 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 19 Interesting places to visit
- 20 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 21 Trip Ideas
- 22 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 23 Switzerland Itinerary in 5 days early-June
- 24 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 25 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
7 day Italy itinerary and storing luggage in train station